× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS

UNITY
Aspirant

QOS

HI i bought my nighthawk for gaming and have heared about QOS but never really got my head round it i just want all my mbps to prioritise on my PS4 and not my PC and iphone and ipad etc. 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

can you just tell me what to do to get my ps4 the most connection and not my other devices on QOS pleaseeee

Message 3 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The PS4 doesn't need the most bandwidth, gaming barely uses any. Recommend following the guide above so you understand how it works and how to use it properly. Otherwise just put Anti-Bufferbloat to Always and 70% on both download/upload sliders
Message 4 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

I understand qos i have about 220 down and 20 upload and i get 100 on my ps4 and about 5 up but when it trys to take my bandwith it limits it to 12 mbps so when i set my pst to highest priority is gives my ps4 11 mbps because thats what its testes it at its so annoying.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't use the PS as a tool to test speeds. 

Always use a wired PC to check your ISP speeds between the router and modem. 

Ensure your game console is wired as thats a preferred connection vs wireless. 

@UNITY wrote:

I understand qos i have about 220 down and 20 upload and i get 100 on my ps4 and about 5 up but when it trys to take my bandwith it limits it to 12 mbps so when i set my pst to highest priority is gives my ps4 11 mbps because thats what its testes it at its so annoying.

Message 6 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

i do use a wired PC and i have done both tests kbps and mbps both either 12k kpbps or 12 mbps and when i do a speedtest on ookla i get 220 down it doesnt make sense

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the game console wired or wireless connected to the router? 

If your getting at spec speeds with the PC and not with the game console, I would presume the game console speed test is not working well or someting on the game console is inhibiting more accurate speeds results. 

What happens is you disable QoS on the router, save settings and reboot both router and game console? 

Message 8 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would reiterate what Furry has said. You're PS4 has absolutely enough bandwidth for gaming. Bandwidth is not an indicator of a better connection when gaming, it's about the ping and thats what QoS will help you keep low and stable.
Message 9 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

then how do i lower my ping?

Message 10 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Follow the guides provided and use the QoS settings I provided you
Message 11 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

join my ps4 party or come discord help me please

Message 12 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't do that unfortunately, if you follow the guides provided that will give you all you need to setup optimally. If you prefer call support then you can call through here http://support.netgear.com/
Message 13 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

ok where are the guides? and thanks for your help

Message 14 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 15 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

i do not have Anti-Bufferbloat submenu on my router settings 

Message 16 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's on the QoS page, make sure you read the pages properly as they'll give you all the information you need.
Message 17 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

i have but all the setting are different to my router settings i have the nighthawk r7000

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Thought you had the XR700? 

@UNITY wrote:

i have but all the setting are different to my router settings i have the nighthawk r7000

Message 19 of 21
UNITY
Aspirant

No i thought i was clicking the right one but it only gives me 4 options and im clikcing r700 not r7000.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to post about this in this forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

The XR series routers UI is completely different from R series routers. Smiley Indifferent

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7