× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QoS Traffic Prioritization Selector for IP Cameras?

GhillieK9
Apprentice

QoS Traffic Prioritization Selector for IP Cameras?

Hello,

I have the XR700 and I wanted to add some devices in the traffic prioritization under QoS. When I click the device (for example and IP camera), the second page has some options under the "basic" section such as types of games, Gaming Console, Battlefield, Crossfire, Skype and more. I can click on Advanced and then enter the ports automatically. I am not too sure on the port numbers as far as what my IP camera uses so is there something specific to IP cameras that I can click under "basic"? If the advanced tab is a better option, where would I find out what port numbers I should use?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: QoS Traffic Prioritization Selector for IP Cameras?

Hello, firstly are their live streaming IP cameras? Do you know how much bandwidth they will use? Traffic Prioritization is a feature meant for low bandwidth applications like games. If you prioritize something that uses a lot of bandwidth this can have adverse affects on your network.

There isn't a basic setting at the moment but if you look on the manufacturers website for your model they will most likely have information on what ports are used.
Message 2 of 5
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Hi! They're those Yi cameras...the black 1080p one. So I have an app on my phone and can pull it up and watch live. We have a few in the house but they're not pulled up all the time. One is for the baby so that one can be quite often. They have an SD or HD option available. I'll have to double check yi website or maybe even send them an email but I haven't seen anything before on their website.

I had no idea that prioritizing them could be bad. Do you know why that is? I mostly did it because sometimes it seems like it's taking a while to pull them up. But I can remove them...
Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Traffic Prioritization supercedes QoS so if you're having a lot of bandwidth going through the feature then that can cause all your other devices to lag. If you use Anti-Bufferbloat at around 70% for download & upload at Always then that should resolve your issue if it's not an inherent issue with the app/camera.
Message 4 of 5
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Thank you! I'll delete those and just keep the stock gaming one on that's on by default. Thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7