× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS not working properly because of docsis 3.1?

droesw
Guide

QoS not working properly because of docsis 3.1?

I am currently on my third XR500 in the past year. The first one I have I returned it because of a issue that I wasn't originally informed was just a firmware issue, but everything else worked great for me. It could have just been my isp signal working better than normal for the 2 weeks I had it, but overall gaming latency and overall responsiveness was consistently better than it's ever felt for me. Also, whatever I set the speed to by using the QoS percent sliders I was always getting within a few mbps of what I set it to, so it was working great (with 70 % it would usually be set at 150, and I would be getting speeds around 145-150 which it should be. At this time I was still using a Docsis 3.0 modem provided by my isp. 

Then, I got this router replaced which I now regret, because the reason I returned it was just a firmware thing, and neither of the last to XR500's I've gotten have worked correctly. But also, on the same day that I got my 2nd XR500 router my ISP came and replaced my 3.0 modem with a docsis 3.1. I set it up normally, and I wasn't getting lagged out of games or anything, but I could tell that the latency was not as good in game and stayed like that up to this point(after getting my 2nd XR500 and docsis 3.1 modem at same time). Also, I set the QoS sliders the same as my first router, but no matter what I was always getting speeds about 40-50 mbps lower than I had the sliders set. (They should be getting around 150mbps download but I have consistently been getting around 100-110 instead). I was extremely confused because docsis 3.1 is supposed to be better, and when I set it up I would get my normal maximum ISP speed before I enable QoS, but after it was enabled I would immediately get speeds much lower than how I have them set. I talked to Netgear and they deemed it a hardware issue, so they sent a replacement XR500, which is my 3rd one which I have now, but this one has the same exact issue. 

I'm struggling to figure this out. It started immediately with my 2nd xr500 but I also got a new 3.1 modem at the same time. I have had the same issue with 2 XR500's now, but also I went back and connected my old 3.0 modem back up, but even when using 3.0 again I am still having the same problem. Before I had this issue my in game latency felt so much better, which is why I'm trying to fix this because it felt extremely fast and smooth with my first XR500, but has never been as good ever since. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think the easiest way for us to see what is happening is to provide a screenshot. Could you open the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu and take a screenshot of the entire page please with the normal settings you're using.
Message 2 of 29
droesw
Guide

These are the settings I have them on currently, and yes I have share excess enabled. I've tried giving a very large percent of bandwidth to a certain device before testing it, and also have tested it by only having 1 device connected before testing, but it still makes no difference. No matter how my settings are, if I have QoS enabled I always get a download speed about 40-50mbps lower than what I have it set to, but when I have OoS disabled it gives me my normal maximun speed that I should get from my ISP. I've also tried swithching it to "always" have anti--bufferbloat on instead of "when high priority traffic detected", but that hasn't made any difference either. I've tried doing factory resets multiple times but it's never fixed it whatsoever. 

Message 3 of 29
droesw
Guide

Another picture of my QoS settings to go along with my last post

Message 4 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of both ISP modems used with the NG router?

What is your ISP speeds UP and Down? 145-150?

DOCSIS is mainly seen and used with ISP speeds higher than 600Mbps, mainly ISPs that required a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem for ther 1Gb speeds services. Also channelization and bonding of channels is a factor as well. 1Gb needs 32x8 channels. If your speeds is 145-150, then channels maybe 16x4. If your ISP speeds are well under 900Mbps then 3.1 isn't a factor here. 

Did the ISP ensure the signal and line quality up to the modem is good? 

Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in beteen the ISP servce box and the modem? 

What are you speeds if you disable QoS all together as a test. 

Check speeds with a wired PC connected directly to the modem first. Then test with the XR in the middle. 

Message 5 of 29
droesw
Guide

I'm not seeing an Mfr, but the model number on the 3.1 modem is Ubee E31U2V1, and the 3.0 modem is technicolor dpc3216. 

My isp speeds are about 220/11, so with 70% sliders I should be getting around 150mbps when Qos is on, but I only get about 100-110 now when I enable it.

The modem is definitely labeled as a docis 3.1 and it's stated to have 32x8 channels,  but are you saying 3.1 won't even be active since my speeds aren't near a gib, or what exactly?

yes i've asked them to test connection multiple times and they always say there are no issues. And when I do my own tests I very rarely get any sort of packet loss.

I think there was some sort of splitter in the isp line, because I think there were 5 outputs on the splitter to go into each room of my house that has a coax plug, but the technician said they only have it set to give a signal through 1 of the 5 outputs at a time anyway to prevent any signal loss. 

When I disable QoS completely I usually get about 220/11, and that's what it should be. But when I enable QoS is when the speeds never are near what I have them set to with the sliders.

I tested wired to computer and directly to modem and got nearly the same speeds still as what I was getting before.

Message 6 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

When the sliders are enabled with QoS, depending on where the sliders are, speeds will be reduced. This the sliders doing there job in limiting some of the bandwidth thruput for devices. If you set the sliders to 99% the speed should increase. Also how do you have the priority setting set for? Always or Only when detecting high priority traffic? 

One thing about the sliders, you don't have to have them at 70%. You can move them up or down. This depends on what your actually doing. If your gaming and also sharing bandwidth with other users or there streaming, then 70% should be good to allow good sharing of the bandwidth for all devices. However if your say up at night or late night gaming or streaming and nobody else is using bandwidth, then you could keep the sliders at 99%. There is no reason why to limit bandwidth if your the only one gaming or streaming. Something to consider. 

Look at the channels being used by your current modem if you log in to the modems web page. Look for it's connection to the ISP service. It will show LOCKED channels being used. 1 thru 32 for the down and 1 thru 8 for the UP. Depending upon what your ISP service required from them, the modem may not be used all channels. For my ISP, my modems is using all 32 channels for the down however only 4 for the UP. My ISP speed service is 200/10. I presume you may see the same with your service. 3.1 is just a version of modem specs. Yes, mostly needed for 1Gb ISP services. 

Message 7 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you disable Traffic Prioritization please, it may be prioritizing something else and superceding your QoS settings and then try the test please? Also do you have goodput enabled?

Message 8 of 29
droesw
Guide

But won’t disabling that just be like another way of disabling QoS altogether, cause if it’s not gonna pick up any high priority traffic it wouldn’t use QoS which is what causes the issue. When QoS is active.
Message 9 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No it's just the part that prioritizes packets, Anti-Bufferbloat is what eliminates the local congestion. Traffic Prioritization is the part that is most likely to cause an inconsistency if it is prioritizing something it shouldn't. If it is then you can adjust the settings on that.
Message 10 of 29
droesw
Guide

Yes I do have goodput enabled. I disabled traffic prioritization like you asked and ran the test again, but it still has the same speed issue. I have the sliders set at about 160mbps but after turning off traffic prioritization I still only got speeds of about 100-110mbps. I then turned QoS off again while I still had traffic prioritization disabled and I got my normal speeds again of about 230mbps, but immediately after turning QoS back on again it gave me speeds much lower than the sliders were set again. 

Message 11 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting. I know you said you have share excess enabled before but are you aware there are two share excess options? One for download and one for upload? On Bandwidth Allocation click on download then check share excess, then click on upload and check share excess. Reset the distribution for both download and upload as well and then retest please.
Message 12 of 29
droesw
Guide

I checked the share excess options for both download and upload, and then reset the distribution for both also, and then retested but I'm still getting the same low speed issue when QoS is enabled.

Message 13 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have a look in the Network Monitor, is there any devices consistently using a lot of bandwidth?
Message 14 of 29
droesw
Guide

No everything seems pretty normal, nothings using any large amount consistently. And like I said I've tried testing it when I only have my computer connected to the internet and nothing else, and it still has the issue regardless.

Message 15 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a different DOCSIS 3.1 modem and see if the problem continues or not. Could be this one Mfr modem that the interaction between it and the XR router is behaving badly. 

Message 16 of 29
droesw
Guide

I took the router to my friends apartment. We're unsure, but we believe they have fiber internet from a local provider, called NetwurX. When I was here, it seemed that the issue wasn't happening. Their speeds were different, but when I set the sliders and everything properly it was giving me speeds right below how I had them set. There normal speeds for upload and download are about 90, so I set that. Then first set the sliders to 70% and my speeds were always right below 63mbps, which is 70% of 90. I then played with the sliders a few times and wherever I set them at my friends house my speeds always tested right around where I had them set, but then I took the router back to my house and again my speeds at my house kept going about 40-50 mbps lower than I had them set whenever I had QoS activated.

Message 17 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your 3.1 modem that you have at home isn't working well with the XR router. 

Who is your ISP? 

Message 18 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

+1 for the modem being the culprit here, I'd try returning that and getting a different modem to see if it works better.
Message 19 of 29
droesw
Guide

My isp is spectrum. This is actually the 3rd 3.1 modem I’ve had from them and they’ll all had the issue. 2 of them have been the same Ubee model, and the other was a technicolor. They all look like the same modem, so I’m not sure if the specs are really different at all, but I’ve had 2 different 3.1 models from spectrum that all have the issue.
Message 20 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you able to use third party routers with spectrum? Might be an idea to see if you can purchase one (even if just to return it later) to see if it works with one not provided by the ISP.
Message 21 of 29
droesw
Guide

I believe I can use some third party routers, but none of the most popular are listed on spectrums website as being supported. Is there any way you can ask people who also have 3.1 modems to test if they have the same speed issues? And specific spectrum customers also if possible. 

Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to post about this over on DSLreports.com and go into the Spectrum forum and see who else has issues with this ISP. I know that Spectrum seems to be limiting on user bought HW and has a limited supported modem list. Might ask others there was works best for that ISP. 

Message 23 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 24 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Furry has the best suggestion, I don't have a list of people that meet that criteria unfortunately.
Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7