× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS not working properly because of docsis 3.1?

Rick6922
Luminary

I've got the same isp as you with a third party router, a netgear cm1000,    dont ever buy a third party router if you can aviod it, among the many issues is the fw of the modem will never be updated. the isp has to update fw on ALL routers and they will not push a fw update on a third party router. my cm1000 is running on old fw and as spectrum evolves and updates the third party routers have more and more problems that could be fixed with a simple fw update,  for more info go to dls reports and its a common problem. 

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 29
schumaku
Guru

Not sure on how a DOCSIS 3.1 modem should be related to some of the DumaOS features enabled apparently slowing down the plain throughput. Either it's the pure processing on the XRnnn lowering bandwidth, or the DumaOS features (some name it QoS - I'd say it's some kind of policy routing [and blocking]) are impacting the performance test sites. 

@Rick6922 wrote:

I've got the same isp as you with a third party router, a netgear cm1000,    

That's a plain cable modem.

@Rick6922 wrote:

dont ever buy a third party router if you can aviod it, among the many issues is the fw of the modem will never be updated. the isp has to update fw on ALL routers and they will not push a fw update on a third party router. 

Modems and routers are two very different beasts.

Pretty much convinced that left and right hand don't know what they do - on both the ISP and the Netgear sides. ISP 1st level support has probably no idea how things are handled for these cable TV provider approved devices. And Netger won't unveil on how the deals with the ISP for allowing their cable modems and routers are drafted and how the updates are supposed to be pushed. It's clear that the listed cable ISP do receive information of Netgear's firmware updates for sure - and somehow they do approve what they get from Netgear's ODM.

And for good resons, our British friends of Netduma like @Netduma-Fraser can't see an obvious relation between the performance drop (caused by the XRnnn with some features enabled) and the cable modem.

@Rick6922 wrote:

my cm1000 is running on old fw and as spectrum evolves and updates the third party routers have more and more problems that could be fixed with a simple fw update, ... 

Netgear does transparently communicate the version numbers for their cable modem and cable (modem-/)routers -> What is the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router?  How does your CM1000 (v1 or v2?) differ from the firmware version listed?

@Rick6922 wrote:

...  for more info go to dls reports and its a common problem. 

Links, references, ...? Lots of barely qualified information here and there, lots of verbs and prose only.

Message 27 of 29
Rick6922
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

Not sure on how a DOCSIS 3.1 modem should be related to some of the DumaOS features enabled apparently slowing down the plain throughput. Either it's the pure processing on the XRnnn lowering bandwidth, or the DumaOS features (some name it QoS - I'd say it's some kind of policy routing [and blocking]) are impacting the performance test sites. 

@Rick6922 wrote:

I've got the same isp as you with a third party router, a netgear cm1000,    

That's a plain cable modem.

@Rick6922 wrote:

dont ever buy a third party router if you can aviod it, among the many issues is the fw of the modem will never be updated. the isp has to update fw on ALL routers and they will not push a fw update on a third party router. 

Modems and routers are two very different beasts.

Pretty much convinced that left and right hand don't know what they do - on both the ISP and the Netgear sides. ISP 1st level support has probably no idea how things are handled for these cable TV provider approved devices. And Netger won't unveil on how the deals with the ISP for allowing their cable modems and routers are drafted and how the updates are supposed to be pushed. It's clear that the listed cable ISP do receive information of Netgear's firmware updates for sure - and somehow they do approve what they get from Netgear's ODM.

And for good resons, our British friends of Netduma like @Netduma-Fraser can't see an obvious relation between the performance drop (caused by the XRnnn with some features enabled) and the cable modem.

@Rick6922 wrote:

my cm1000 is running on old fw and as spectrum evolves and updates the third party routers have more and more problems that could be fixed with a simple fw update, ... 

Netgear does transparently communicate the version numbers for their cable modem and cable (modem-/)routers -> What is the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router?  How does your CM1000 (v1 or v2?) differ from the firmware version listed?

@Rick6922 wrote:

...  for more info go to dls reports and its a common problem. 

Links, references, ...? Lots of barely qualified information here and there, lots of verbs and prose only.

I know modems and routers are diffrent smart a$$, I meant to put modem,  thats what the cm1000 is!I think the guy I was talking too knew what I was talking about. mind  your business nerd,   nobodys talking to you!  and as far as the isp pushing fw updates on 3rd party modems , lol your full of shi% ,what NG modem do you have? if its one of the first cm1000's its not running on the lastest fw ! 

Message 28 of 29
droesw
Guide

So you have spectrum too, but use a Netgear CM1000 modem? What kind of issues do you have with it, cause it's tempting to try a third party one still considering the issues I have with the modems spectrum gave me?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 29 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7