× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS not working with PPPoE connection !

Huthayfa
Guide

QoS not working with PPPoE connection !

Hi,

recently I have got my XR500 with DumaOS.

I discovered an issue, I am using fiber connection that requires VLAN tagging on WAN to get the internet working. 

when I put my fiber ONT in full bridge, set up the VLAN tag on the XR500 and configure the PPPoE connection, the QoS upload speed limit feature does not work at all, I mean that I limit the upload and download sliders to 70%, the download is limited okay but the upload is still giving full speed on speedtest.net and dslreports.com and buffering like hell. I am on last firmware, tried rebooting the router and factory defaults, no use.  

I figured out that QoS functioning properly only if I set my connection to anything other than PPPoE, which means not to put my ONT in bridge mode and connect the XR500 to it for getting local IP which will cause double NAT issue. 

thanks in advance !

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - could you enter PPoE details into your modem instead? It's usually better to do this in general. This should then solve the problem.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Huthayfa
Guide

thank you very much sir for reply.
yes, it is fiber service and uses PPPoE mode. my bandwidth is 200/80 mbps down/up.
thanks!
Message 2 of 7
Huthayfa
Guide

it is the Saudi telecom company service:
www.stc.com.sa
my ONT model is Alcatel G-240W-B, which has become Nokia recently.
thanks!
Message 3 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - could you enter PPoE details into your modem instead? It's usually better to do this in general. This should then solve the problem.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

And just to add, you should be ok with NAT if you enable UPNP on the XR500 and disable any port forwarding rules on the modem. Let us know if not and we can help

Message 5 of 7
Huthayfa
Guide

thank you Mr. jack, that actually helps and works properly. I was just trying to bypass my ONT completely to avoid double NAT. but no problems. I will assign the XR500 to the ONT DMZ and enable Upnp on the XR500.

thank you very much.
Message 6 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear. Thanks for letting us know and I hope you enjoy using the XR500!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7