× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about Nighthawk gaming router

atangvels
Follower

Question about Nighthawk gaming router

Hey guys, I have a question and wasn’t sure who to ask.

Basically I just moved and I’m unable to hardwire my Xbox . I’m staying in a basement and the router is on the first floor. After testing, the connection is supposed to be good but I experience lag quite often when gaming. I was considering buying the Nighthawk pro for gaming to help combat this. What I was wondering was

-is this a good method to help with lag -I’m only one floor down directly beneath the router/modem, would the distance be a problem since I can’t hardwire

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Re: Question about Nighthawk gaming router

@atangvels wrote:

I was considering buying the Nighthawk pro for gaming to help combat this. What I was wondering was

-is this a good method to help with lag -I’m only one floor down directly beneath the router/modem, would the distance be a problem since I can’t hardwire

You could try asking over in the place where they talk about these routers:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Be aware that people turn up here with problems. Satisfied customers rarely need to drop by.

Have you considered Powerline Ethernet?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Are you gaming on the 2.4ghz signal or the 5ghz? 

2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference and is much slower so can cause some increased latency times with gaming. 

If you're on the 5ghz, you can try changing the channel its broadcasting on. 

@michaelkenward suggestions about powerline are good as well. Hardwiring is the best option if you can. If powerline doesn't work, there's also moca adapters (ethernet over coax). They're pretty solid too

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Great suggestion above!

From a DumaOS perspective, if you've got a solid connection to the router, be it by Wi-Fi, Powerline or Wired, and you're still experiencing lag, DumaOS can certainly help with this! Our QoS solution can prioritise your important traffic over everything else in the network, ensuring it's not held up behind anything else that's going on on the network.

Message 4 of 5

An important question that I should have thrown in early on, how fast is the Internet connection that @atangvels has?

Might also be worth knowing how many people use it.

Everything tracks back to that, The best hardware in the planet won't get very far with a crappy Internet connection.

I would diagnose what causes that "lag ".

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7