× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about QoS and WiFi access points on xr500

Somatics
Tutor

Question about QoS and WiFi access points on xr500

Hi, just got my XR500 the other day and I'm loving it but haven't found my optimized settings yet as I haven't had much time to get into it.

Setup is an Arris Surfboard SB 8200 Modem with the XR500 router, and the only ethernet device on my network is my PC, although I have around 8 total devices on my network (family's phones/laptop)

My internet plan is Xfinity cable 1000 down 40 up

Now, will making an old router or like a UniFi AP AC LR the Wi-Fi access point affect network performance in any way? Negatively or positively? I haven't had any issues with the xr500 wifi, but it's a question I had, as I wanna make sure the family doesn't get screwed over from my question about QoS.

I guess what I'm asking is will using an access point cause the xr500 to perform better because it's not having to spit out Wi-Fi signals? (I have zero experience or knowledge about this stuff so if that was a ridiculous question I'm sorry)

Best QoS settings for my 1000/40 internet plan? The usual 70/70 with my PC allocated around 20% bandwidth is the best starting point right? I use DSLreports to test bufferbloat and get an A everytime, even when I get spikes up to around 250ms (It's an A because it's mostly low ms) can I eliminate spikes or is that not on my end? just trying to get as close to perfect as possible.

My old router gave me a C or B on bufferbloat everytime so the improvement has been insanely good just wondering if I can make it even better (no spikes)

This post is all over the place but I'm just trying to get everything set in stone before the new call of duty comes out

Thanks for reading 🙂
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Question about QoS and WiFi access points on xr500

There should be no performance decrease by using that in AP mode so you can do that if needed. That is the recommended starting point yes, you can eliminate spikes by experimenting with the Anti-Bufferbloat percentage. I would recommend having a look at our optimal settings guides here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Question about QoS and WiFi access points on xr500

There should be no performance decrease by using that in AP mode so you can do that if needed. That is the recommended starting point yes, you can eliminate spikes by experimenting with the Anti-Bufferbloat percentage. I would recommend having a look at our optimal settings guides here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7