× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about product

Josephiorio
Aspirant

Question about product

Hi all!

I hope everyone is doing well this holiday and as well with doing well in this COVID times and staying safe. 

I'm here in regards of what to get, I am not sure if this is allowed. I registered this account specifically to have some support and a have a step in the right direction. I am looking to find a new Modem/Router solution, been Netgear person all my life as my parents has stuck with the company since i was born, now just looking for a major update but I am new to this whole modem/router devices but wanting the best solution, we have an oldish modem/router, not sure of the speed but its definitely showing some age and need an upgrade as we can get up to 600 mb/s and strong wifi compabilities as we struggle losing our wifi from time to time but the ethernet connection is strong. 

We have many devices in our home, from me gaming on pc. a couple xboxes using wifi, many iphones, so thinking something like the C7800 is worth it, something as powerful as the C7800 might be an overkill even. 

I was looking at the C7800 combo but my parents need a phone compatible modem but with speeds of that that goes to 1600 mb/s or lower 1000 mb/s range. Also, If i was to get something like the C7800, will i need to add a router, like the C7000 as the C87800 has wifi capabillties? I am also sorry if my terminology is wrong when referencing the products and asking what i need/want.

i appreciate ANY help, thank you for reading. 🙂 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Question about product

How big is the home?  and what are the interior walls made of?

What speeds do you plan on paying for? 

What budget are you looking at?

You're needing a modem/router combo device that also has phone service? 

Who's your isp? Many of the modem/router/phone devices are only supported through xfinity.

Another option is to get a modem seperate from the router. Its usually what we recommend on here. it allows you to update the modem or router seperate from each other. Plus then you have the option of being in control of your firmware. When its a combo device, the isp controls it. 

Message 2 of 5
Josephiorio
Aspirant

I would say its about 1600 sq ft. and walls are made of dry wall but where I have the now modem/router, is in the basement but i will be bringing the new device upstairs. I believe the speeds they pay for is 600 mb/s, the budget would be around 600$ i would stay try to stay under and yes that is correct I need a modem/router/phone modem/router combo, and we do have Xfinity! 

and I will do separate modem/router, that does make sense. May i ask why i would need or want to have access to the firmware? is it a security measure or? I do like to deal with the techy stuff and think it would be cool to have access myself, just usnure of what exactly I would be in control over since i dont have much control of our now modem/router admin settings if that makes sense

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Firmware updates/changes allow you to address security issues as well as add features/improvements. 

When you get a modem/router combo device, the isp is the one who has to update the firmware. And they rarely do. So combo devices tend to have outdated security and be fairly basic. 

The 2 modems that are docsis 3.1 that support gig speeds AND phone 

CM1150V

CM2050V

Both are a bit spendy right now 

Then you'd just pick a router based upon the specs you prefered in a router. 

The next closest modem/voice device is the CM500V but its only supported up to 300mbps. 

If you do want a combo device the closest with phone support is the C7100V but it only supports up to 400mbps plans.

Message 4 of 5
Josephiorio
Aspirant

ahh, that makes perfect sense, thank you for the insight. 

After taking what you said and doing some searching, I'm definitely going to go with the CM1150V. As for the router, ill be pairing it with the AC3200 router model, all the more reasons to stick with the Netgear brand with the support here. I appreciate the help and insight! 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7