× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question with my XR500 & Possible 3.0 Update feature!

YT-xIndicaxHigh
Aspirant

Question with my XR500 & Possible 3.0 Update feature!

So ive been wondering if i can set my ping filter under 30ms. As i said i live near seattle which is the biggest gaming server hubs in the state where i live but, I dont know if its possible to set my Ping assist lower than 30ms. Becuase last time i did it. My ping got worse instead of better. I hope in the netgear 3.0 update they make the ping assist filter better by letting users get a session with like 25ms or under 30ms, Maybe like 15ms tops. Sometimes 30ms doesnt cut it an you wanna get lower than that. I do becuase im by one of the big hubs. which is seattle!

Id honestly love netgear or netduma to allow me to get games lower than 30ms! If i could set my ping assist lower than 30ms without my ping getting worse when i do that. I dont mind waiting just to get into a game with the ping i desire.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Question with my XR500 & Possible 3.0 Update feature!

You can set your Ping Assist lower than 30 but keep in mind that the lowest game ping you'll be able to get in most cases is your base ping (speed test ping with nothing using the internet) + 10-20ms. It may just be that those servers you got that were within that limit were not playing very well due to system load etc.
Message 2 of 8
YT-xIndicaxHigh
Aspirant

Ok becuase last time i set it to 25ms my ping jumped from what i orginally set 30ms to 50-80ms after i put it to 25ms because i was trying to see if i can get a 25ms server but instead it freaked out an put me on servers that are 50-80ms like my geo filter broke or something so i always had it set to 30ms becuase the system broke itself if i set my ping assist lower than 30ms.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you have fast search enabled it will bypass that to get you a game faster. Ping Assist pings the server and if it's under your limit initially then it will allow it even if it then gets higher after that. If you want to try and get lower pings try using the radius without Ping Assist to just force Seattle servers.
Message 4 of 8
YT-xIndicaxHigh
Aspirant

I do not fast "Fast search" Enabled. Its when i put my ping assist lower than  30. its like to brakes itself an puts me in matches that are not my desired ping of 25 or even 30 an the only way to fix that issue is putting my ping assist back to 30ms becuase without it. I wouldnt have my 30ms lobbys.

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like it's pinging them initially as low but then they rise but they've already been allowed. If you use the radius exclusively then you should be able to get very low pings if you force Seattle.
Message 6 of 8
YT-xIndicaxHigh
Aspirant

How do i force it to seattle! I have Filtered Mode on all the time. I never turn on spectating. But sometimes it keeps allowing connections outside my search range to be allowed. When i have Filtered On 24/7 to keep my ping low. I feel maybe its the update i have an itll be fixed when update 3.0 come out. I just havent found a solution to have my router to not allow these players. They should add a setting if its gonna allow me to have those players than i should be the host of the game. An i hope update 3.0 allows me to set my ping lower than 30ms to like 15-25 so when i set it under 30ms without fast search enabled it wont break itself an act like filtered mode is not toggled on list the issue im having above. So i was always stuck setting it to 30.  Tbh it shouldnt even be allowing players if they have any higher than 50ms. Even that posts a risk for shots not registering. Id rather also have them to add as a advanced option if i have 30ms than i should be able to set the players i search for to also have 30ms. I noticed that there was a japan player in my server when he shouldnt have been allowed to connect to me. I also never have fast search enabled too. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well the only way to force Seattle is to put the radius around it and turn off Ping Assist.

The servers and peers that are coming through despite their high ping are probably being misread by Ping Assist. Remember that they will be allowed based on their initial ping, but if their ping climbs later, there's nothing that can be done. We don't block connections that are already established.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7