× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question with wifi speed

Fenderman1
Follower

Question with wifi speed

Hello, I just purchased and installed my nighthawk xr500 router and my max wifi speed that I'm able to push is 120megs to my devices through my wifi (phone, fire stick ect). I have a fiber internet service of 500 megs up and down. I went through the setup process and did an updated to the newest drivers. Any advice on improving the wifi speed is much appreciated and thanks. Also I'm getting the correct speed with a direct connection to my pc
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - is smart connect enabled? If might be worth disabling it so two WiFi bands appear 2.4GHz and 5GHz). Then connect your phone to the 5GHz and try the speedtest.

It’s also worth changing the channels in case there is interference from other wireless devices on the default channels. There are plenty of online WiFi analyzers too which will show you which channels are congested.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 3
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you got any wired connections? Also do you have antibufferbloat set to 70%? If you do you will have reduced bandwidth, you can select when 'high priority traffic is detected' so then when not gaming you should get a full pipe rather than the constrained one to eliminate lag. Be aware that 70% is a guide, if you don't have a busy house and never saturate your network you could set it to 97% quite happily or even 99% it depends on your home environment, the amount of devices using intensive bandwdth and of course how many people are in your home too. Follwing Jacks advice is also very useful in case it is wifi related and not settings.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7