× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Questions About XR500 and Home Game Server Hosting

Vysse
Aspirant

Questions About XR500 and Home Game Server Hosting

I am thinking about purchasing this router in hopes to help handle some potential DDoS attacks down the road for my home hosted game server. I am wondering if this is a realistic approach and if so what VPN will allow me to do this? I have tried to setup my own VPN on a VPS but have had no luck so am hoping this router will make that process more understandable. Essentially I would want to allow others to connect to my game server without exposing my IP and also to have them be able to access a webserver on the default port 80. Please give any info you might have on the reality of being able to do this. Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Questions About XR500 and Home Game Server Hosting

Are you expecting there to be attacks? Any VPN would be fine, I would suggest looking into specific gaming VPNs though for speed. I'm not sure about the web server though, in theory it should work.
Message 2 of 4
Vysse
Aspirant

Yes I'm expecting there will be attacks. The kind of game server I'm hosting can be competitive and people ddos servers sometimes.
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just in case then, if the VPN server were to be attacked then you would need to manually change the VPN server to get the connection back up and running. You can enable the option to disable the internet completely when this gets taken down to ensure your IP isn't revealed.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7