× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions before buying XR500

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh I see, I don't have any specific recommendations on a Switch but perhaps a power line adapter or a longer ethernet cable would a better & cheaper option?
Message 26 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Not sure if I can trust powerline adapters 🙂

I am thinking about Netgear GS305 or GS105 or similar devices.

Message 27 of 66
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I personally use a powerline adapter to connect to a router upstairs - it's honestly been really good so far! Still, entirely your choice. Let us know what you decide to get, and if you have any issues please do let us know 🙂

Message 28 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I bought Ubiquiti ER-X and now waiting for delivery 🙂

Message 29 of 66
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Did you buy the Xr500 aswell? If so then you do realise that the edgerouter X is a router? It can be used as a switch if necessary (but that is software driven and not a true switch). NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105 Switch may have been a better option!

Message 30 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Yep, XR500 is sitting in my home at the moment. I was trying to get Netgear GS105/GS305 but on Amazon.de and local resellers in Poland don't have latest versions of them, and I didn't want to pay for older versions. 

Message 31 of 66
BIG_DOG
Luminary

ok, no worries.

The edgerouter X is a good router, I have 1 in my drawer. So long as you are network savvy enough to configure it as you will have to set it as a switch in the edgerouter interface (which can be complicated for inexperienced users) then it will do the job, but it will take it's toll on resources as a switch as it is software driven (it will tell you that in the interface when you configure it as a switch).

Message 32 of 66
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Also, if you are unfamiliar with edgerouter and ubiquiti then heres a youtuber who does tutorials etc etc  https://www.youtube.com/user/williehowe/videos

Message 33 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

So my latest configuration will be like below;

ISP > EdgeRouterX > configure two VLAN > first VLAN for XR500 and all computers / second VLAN for living room connection if guests need cable connection or TV services 

I will set EdgeRouterX as main DHCP server and configure XR500 as secondary.

To test speeds I will also connect my external 8 TB WD Book Duo and test it via WiFi and ethernet connections.

Message 34 of 66
YoDaDDY
Guide

I really wish that I had went with another option and had waited before I bought the XR500.  Hope it works out for you....

Message 35 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

What happened with XR500?

Message 36 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

My current connection is 300mbit and this is my current speed. I am using EdgeRouter X and XR500. I set two VLANs in EdgeRouter, one for XR500 and one for living room guests. Firewall enabled with default rules. DHCP is running on EdgeRouter and secondary DHCP is running on XR500. Both are running with latest firmwares.

So far it is very good. In my previous home my ping was always above 10ms in speedtest tests with cable modem and here I have 1 ms.

For some reason uploading picture doesn't work here. I attached screenshot.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 37 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

It is connected to XR500. My config is now ISP > EdgeRouter > XR500. I had much lower results with wifi last night but today I will bring my main desktop PC. It has better wifi capabilities (I have Asus Strix X99 mobo), after that I can show you wifi test results from all of my devices for better comparison.

Message 38 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Here are results of my tests. One with ethernet connection, one with desktop WiFi and one with iPhone 7 Plus with latest IOS version

IOS

http://www.speedtest.net/result/i/2556458669

Cable

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7160614848

Wifi

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7160618100

Message 39 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can't see the cable results but others look reasonable
Message 40 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I attached it as a file. Forum is not accepting image file uploads for some reason.

Message 41 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are your expected speeds again?
Message 42 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

For the moment I have 300mbit symmetrical connection. So, connection with PC is very good 🙂

but iPhone wifi is slow. Dunno why. Also DumaOS Dashboard is not working with Chrome but it works with Microsoft Edge. 

Message 43 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Might be that data is enabled on the phone as well.

Not seen that error before, if you factory reset does it work as expected?
Message 44 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Nope, I have only one SSID.

I didn't reset my XR500, I used Edge and Chrome today in Windows and before that I accessed it via Firefox in Linux.

Message 45 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant do a factory reset, does it solve the error?
Message 46 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I just did it and nope it didn't solve. I also found that auto firmware check is not working properly. I had 2.1.0.4 and it didn't find anything new but there is 2.1.0.6. I also upgraded to that firmware version.

As for iPhone issue, I separated wifi networks into two, and with 5G it works perfectly.

Message 47 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unpin everything from the dashboard then clear your cache on the browser.

That's not an issue, it's likely they haven't put .6 on the server
Message 48 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I unpinned everything now dashboard comes empty. When I switch to other tabs I get errors too.

I will just use Firefox, much more compatible it seems. Also Chrome doesn't support HTTPS I think. I get a warning when I tried to connect with https

Message 49 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure why you're getting that at all. Update to .6 manually and see if it still occurs.

Yes that's right due to a bug in the Chrome web browser itself
Message 50 of 66
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7