× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions before buying XR500

Naxterra
Apprentice

On latest firmware QoS is broken in Firefox too. I am getting "Script Error" and nothing comes up. Also my USB network share is not working either. It is constantly asking for password. I am giving admin user and password but it is not accepting. Chrome still doesn't work.

Message 51 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll PM you.
Message 52 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Nope, what will be the point of doing that?

Message 53 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Okay. I will do it tomorrow and post results.

Message 54 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Hello

Here is the result.

Message 55 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I have one issue. My WD Book Duo has low speed when it is connected to XR500. I am getting around 60 MB/s speed when it is connected to XR500. If I connect it to my PC, I am getting around 200-210 MB/s

Also one request, will there be an option for user management? I couldn't find anything except changing password for "admin" user.

Message 56 of 66
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Is the duo connected wirelessly? My instinct would be it’s on the 2.4GHZ band and getting slower speeds. Could you try a wired test and see if the results are different.

As for user management, do you mean different user profiles. For example, a child could access the router UI but have limited powers to change settings?
Message 57 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Hello.

I see no difference in speeds between EdgeRouter and XR500.

My WD Book Duo connected via USB 3.0 cable, which is the same cable I was connecting to my computer. I was expecting same speeds as my computer but I couldn't get it. I will connect it to my computer and share it from there I think.

Message 58 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

My WD Duo is connected via USB 3.0 and I am doing test from PC via CAT7 cable.

For user management, I want to customize which tabs and options will be accessible for which users but I couldn't find option to even rename "admin" user. Like "Naxterra" admin for everything. "Nax-Game" to only Geo-Filter, Port Forwarding and NAT options, "Nax-Network" for all network administration and network monitor, etc.

Also I just saw that there are lots of unknown devices shown in my network map. What are those? I have only 2 laptops, 3 phones, 1 USB disk and 1 PC connected at the moment. I assigned static IP to PC and two phones.

Message 59 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's an interesting idea, I believe its been suggested before. That could be a big overhaul so there would have to be a very good reason to do it.

You can only have admin as the username - that's a Netgear setting.

If you have unknown devices it means the router hasn't been able to classify them. Check the MAC addresses on the Network Map with the MAC addresses on the devices themselves. We're going to be improving device recognition, if you want to help with that let me know!
Message 60 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Hello

Here is a screenshot from my EdgeRouter.

ISP > e0 - (Firewall NAT enable (only default options) EdgeRouterX first VLAN 

-e1 >WAN- XR500  > Wi-Fi & Ethernet

-e2 second VLAN guests

-e3 and -e4 empty

As for gaming I didn't see any significant change. I tried World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online and Star Wars the Old Republic,

Message 61 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Those games don't require use of the Geo-Filter as you can select the servers on the game but by using QoS to eliminate any local congestion you'll ensure the most stable connection possible.

I'd also suggest manually inputting the ports for the games into Traffic Prioritization so you can prioritise them.
Message 62 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

I will do that for my games but these unknown devices is a mess. How can I help you to improve them? Meanwhile I need to make a list of my online enabled games and search for their ports.

Message 63 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

PM me when you're available and I can connect to you and grab a file from your router. Meanwhile if you match the MAC addresses with your devices you can rename them.

Message 64 of 66
Naxterra
Apprentice

Hello

I am only watching videos from internet, didn't buy smart TV at the moment. Also tried to open videos from my USB disk and it was normal speed.

There is not much price difference between XR500 and R7800, and there wasn't much negative feedback about XR500, most of them were positive. That is why it was on my list.

@Fraser

Is it possible to optimize router's internet speed settings without doing setup all over again? I couldn't find a place to do to speedtest without doing initial setup.

Message 65 of 66
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only place it will do a speed test for you is by doing the setup wizard in Settings. We're likely going to introduce an automatic speed test as it's been requested.

Alternatively do a speed test manually and input the speeds into bandwidth settings.
Message 66 of 66
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7