× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R-App Issues on XR500

beemir
Star

R-App Issues on XR500

Hi everyone, before I get into the nitty gritty, let me say that I purchased this router in December 2018 and it has been fine until around the past two months or so. At first the problem wasn't as persistent. I have scoured through all posts similar to this but either they are from 2018/2019 with the older firmware versions running, compared to the current one, or they were related to the XR700 for which there seems to be a beta firmware these days that resolves this issue with the R-Apps.

A few of the major suggestions I've tried are:

- change the number of retries from 3 to 5

- downgraded firmware to the previous version (or two such as .32), then upgraded to the current version and setup from scratch (please note this method works for a day or so and then the problem comes back)

- logged in via IP address, routerlogin.net (both on http and https) from various browsers, even though Chrome is suggested frequently

- simple reboot or power cycle (used to fix it for a day or a few hours, but as of last night/today even that has stopped working).

I use Hybrid VPN frequently, and when the router isn't in the mood to load R-Apps, on this section it loads only the first half. So even though I can turn on VPN it won't work because the devices I have selected are loading, and in return are not being put on the VPN connection. Network Monitor completely does not load up. Device Management is the same thing. QOS, the upper part loads up, but not the lower part. This used to be random, now it seems these are the culprits most of the time.

I have wondered if a device with a weird name is causing this but then how am I supposed to fix that if I can't even access Device Manager anymore. So when I was able to get into, I checked for weird names and classification (much like the suggestion made for the Nintendo Switch, etc.). And no, there are no Switches in this household or connected to the network.

Does heat have anything to do with this? Potential overheating? Just asking and wondering. Like I said I've used it since December 2018 and it's been perfect up until now, and dare I say it seems like the problem is getting worse? I can't just call Netgear support or send it in or whatever because I'm based in Saudi Arabia and sending anything anywhere costs a ton of money (unrelated rant).

Will DumaOS 3 fix this? Let me rephrase that, has this issue been fixed with DumaOS 3? I can hold out for it. I signed up for beta testing but haven't received the email. To me it "seems" like a software/firwmare issue and not a hardware one. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Should I just downgrade to 2.3.2.40 or 2.3.2.32 and suck it up and stick with it until DumaOS 3 is released? Who knows how long that will take. I forget if Hybrid VPN is included in any of the older firmware. I don't recall.

The thing is I cannot afford to keep messing with the router, people at home need internet access, and working remotely from home for 3 out of 5 people does not help with the matter. I am usually very patient but this issue is extremely frustrating now.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are welcome. Apologies in advance for the "novel". Thanks in advance.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DumaOS 3.0 will fix this issue, it's in beta so bugs are still likely to happen but overall yes we're confident we'll be able to resolve this - hopefully once and for all. I will PM you with a suggestion and see if that helps potentially, I've just thought of it but requires some tinkering.
Message 2 of 9
beemir
Star

Hi, as requested I tried what you suggested but it did not work. There is something interesting that I noticed, that may or may not give you more insight? I took a screenshot of it. Let me know where I can send it (PM or otherwise).

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah that's disappointing. Sure that would be great, just reply to my PM.
Message 4 of 9
beemir
Star

Done. I replied to your PM with a link to the screenshot.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you, I've replied to your PM.
Message 6 of 9
beemir
Star

Has anyone else figured out anything by messing around and finally got it to stick?

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I will try and get you boosted up the list for the beta so you can hopefully receive it sooner.
Message 8 of 9
beemir
Star

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated! In the meantime, if there is anything else you or the team would like me to try out I am okay with being the guinea pig.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7