× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000

NickEverly
Aspirant

R7000

internet tab is greyed out in netgear genie routerlogin page. trying to change DNS address

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000

Message 2 of 6
NickEverly
Aspirant

yes i'm assuming i do because under the Genie banner in yellow it says "operation mode: access point". do i need to change it or turn it off, if so how? 

i did this, but not sure if that's how you turn it off/disable:-

->wireless tab->unchecked the boxes for SSID connections (i believe that's what they were called, i'm doing this by memory) unchecked boxes for both the 2.5MH and 5MH option. but that didn't help all it did was not allow me to access the internet from the router wifi signal. thank you. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Usually if your router is in ap mode, its because there's another router on the network. Probably your isp's device. 

Its done to prevent a double nat.

If you need to change the dns settings, you'll want to log into your isp's modem/router and change it there. (since the netgear's in ap mode). 

Message 4 of 6
NickEverly
Aspirant

i got login and pw info from my isp and can now log into my modems interface page. what do i need to change in this modem page to not have it be double nat?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're wanting to run the netgear in Router mode and the isp's device in modem only mode, you need to check with the isp first if their device has a modem only/passthrough mode. And even if they do, if it functions properly.

For example, att combo devices have a passthrough mode that functions horrible. And so connecting a router to them means you have to run the router in AP mode for everything to work properly. 

so lookup your ISP's combo device online and see how others have done passthrough/modem only mode and how well it works. The isp might say it works fine (because they dont' want to blame their device) but if everyone online says it doesn't work well, it isn't worth the fight.

What modem/router is it? 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7