× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P random reboots - (2nd RMA Device with same result)

Mataiman
Tutor

R7960P random reboots - (2nd RMA Device with same result)

I am on my third RMA for Nighthawk X6S Ac3600 Tri-Band Wifi Router (Model #7960P) and still getting random reboots on a daily basis.  Router reboots and disconnects ALL connected devices (wired & wireless).  It usually restarts in 60 seconds or less and reconnects devices (usually with differnet IP address and get error messages on Windows machines for conflicts).

I am at a loss of what the problem here is and have tried the following:

1) Latest firmware applied (1.4.1.50_1.3.10) & reset router to factory defaults.

2) Plugged router into two different power supplies with same results.

3) QoS is disabled along with Guest Network

4) I'm sure there are other things I have tried as well but not listed.

I do have the debug logs retrieved from today for review if that might give a hint as to what is happening on this router.  I did ask for refund on last support call with Netgear but was denied and sent another Netger 7960P.

Looking for any help in review debug logs and hoping to find out root cause for these random reboots.  Any advice or assistance is much appreciated.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7960P random reboots - (2nd RMA Device with same result)

what modem are you connected to? 

Have you tried move the router to a different area? maybe the power outlet has issues? Just tossing out ideas. Bad routers do happen but its rare to get 2x in a row. Usually makes me start looking at other things that could impact it by being hardwired into it

1. Power issues.

2. modem connection

3. devices connected to it. 

for option 3. I'd try disconnecting the hardwired devices into it (other than modem). Maybe one of them is sending a surge over the ethernet (again guessing). 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the latest isn't always the greatest. 

have you tried going down a version or 2 on the firmware? If you do, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterwards. 

Message 2 of 5
Mataiman
Tutor

I have tried three different firmware versions at this point and all of them behave the same way (reboots frequently).  I also reset router after each firmware regression with same result.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

what modem are you connected to? 

Have you tried move the router to a different area? maybe the power outlet has issues? Just tossing out ideas. Bad routers do happen but its rare to get 2x in a row. Usually makes me start looking at other things that could impact it by being hardwired into it

1. Power issues.

2. modem connection

3. devices connected to it. 

for option 3. I'd try disconnecting the hardwired devices into it (other than modem). Maybe one of them is sending a surge over the ethernet (again guessing). 

Message 4 of 5
Mataiman
Tutor

I think I may have found the culprit on this one thanks to your response.  I forgot that I had a device plugged into the router (Router Limits Mini) and have since disconnected it altogether.  Furthermore, I did some additional research on this device and found that it was not compatible with R7960P router.

After disconnecting this device that was hardwired into router, I have gone about 36 hours with no hardware crashes or reboots!!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7