× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 failure

CG8349
Tutor

R9000 failure

Very disappointing....bought an expensive R9000 router Oct 2019.  Yesterday is started working slowly then after a couple hours stopped altogether.  Went through the usual phone calls with Xfinity, nothing wrong with the internet signal.  The router has power and shows it's connected to the modem, but won't 'send' anything out.  Neither wireless nor ethernet ports work.  I tried downloading the firmare update in hopes it would help but the firmware update ZIP file says 'disc corrupted' and it won't work, either.  Plus, the Netgear site says to 'look in manual' on how to do the firmware update.....without telling me where to look.  I spent 15 minutes of my life looking through a 162 pages of manual and still didn't find anything on firmware updates. 

Anyoneelse have this issue?  I spent hundreds of dollars on a top-end router and it's looking like a waste of money at this point!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R9000 failure

What modem is it connected to? 

What firmware is on it? (if you remember)

What are the leds on it doing? 

have you tried a factory reset? push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@CG8349 wrote:

The router has power and shows it's connected to the modem, but won't 'send' anything out.

Any other LED indications on the long line of LEDs on the fine router?

@CG8349 wrote:

Neither wireless nor ethernet ports work.

Whatever "work" is - allowing to reach the Internet? Connect a computer to a LAN port making the LAN LED number x light where one could try to open the router Web UI? Wireless visible on air or not? WiFi LED for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on air?

@CG8349 wrote:

I tried downloading the firmare update in hopes it would help but the firmware update ZIP file says 'disc corrupted' and it won't work, either.

The times of click the file and run something out of a ZIP archive are long times gone - this was a popular way to spread malware. The firmware image is named .img - this does not mean it's a whatever disk image you can open on your computer - nothing corrupted there. This is the file to upload using the router Web UI.

You can also try a factory reset by -> https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router and reconfigure the router from scratch. 

Should the device proof to be broken, head to https://my.netgear.com/ ... Login if required ... My Support -> [Contact Support] -> Replace my defective product

Message 3 of 7
CG8349
Tutor

I did the reset and also unplugged it from the wall for an hour, no luck.  It's connected to an Arris SB8200 modem. Xfinity ran their remote checks and said the modem is working fine.  The lights on the modem all are showing proper operation as well.  If I connect my laptop to the modem directly, I have good internet service. Therefore I believe the modem and internet are not the issue.

The R9000 is connected to the modem (and internet).  It is simply not sending anything out.  It is like a black hole the internet goes into, but never comes out.   On the front of the R9000, the left two lights are on  - Power and Internet.    On the right side, the WiFI light is on.  No other lights are on....in particular I am looking for the 2.4 or 5ghz lights to be on, but they are dead.  The internet light does flash on/off in an irregular manner though it is mostly 'on'. I tried using a different ethernet cable to connect the modem to the router, still no luck.

I do not know what firmware it has other than it is what it came with on Oct 2019.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Does the SB8200 have anything else plugged into it? it has 2 ethernet ports but most ISP's only allow 1 to be used unless you're using port aggregation. If you're using port aggregation, I'd recommend disabling it. 

When you reset, did you push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds? 

What color is the power led? 

Are you able to connect a pc to it via ethernet and get an ip address or ping the router? 

Message 5 of 7
CG8349
Tutor

The lights on front are all white.

Nothing else is connected to the modem.

I did the reset button for 7-15 seconds and it did not work.  I then held it down for about 2 minutes and it allowed me to finally get enough signal out that I could connect to the Netgear site to do the firmware update.  It lost connection about 8 times during this and I had to keep starting over but eventually it was able to complete the update.  

It now seems to be working properly.  I bought a TP-Link router I'm going to keep on hand as a backup just in case....this outage consumed about 5 hours of my life that I don't want to go through again!

Thank you all for your assistance, I appreciate your time and effort.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Either way, glad to hear you got it functioning again!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7