× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Random, Persistent Router Disconnects (XR500 with ATT Fiber and BGW210-700)

IBTwist
Aspirant

Random, Persistent Router Disconnects (XR500 with ATT Fiber and BGW210-700)

Hey fellow users,

Been gaving some really annoying issues with my new XR500. Keep in mind I bought this only about 2 months ago. 

Basically, for the past 2 weeks, I have been experiencing continually more frequent router disconnects throughout the day. It started as once a week or once every couple days, but just today it happened 4 TIMES in the past 5 HOURS. Here is what happens:

1) I will get disconnected from the internet on all devices (this includes my Xbox which is hardwired via ethernet and my WiFi connected phone/computer/tablet.

2) The WiFi channel will cease to even appear on any wireless Wifi lists on all wireless devices.

3) I check my router and all indicator lights are either off completely or showing the orange/red glow of death.

4) I check my ATT given WiFi channel (which we keep on because my parents use it since they are in another part of the house and don't use the internet that much, so we figured why bloat the traffic on the XR500 and just let them use the ISP WiFi) and the ISP WiFi channel is up, which indicates that my internet SERVICE is fine. My gateway is still pumping out WiFi, just the Xr500 is disconnecting.

5) AFter about 2-5 minutes, the indicator lights begin to turn back to normal.

6) Low and behold, the network comes back up and everything is fine.

I am updated to the latest firmware, and I don't really want to change to a hotfix if it is possible because I just got a Network Optimization done professionally and wouldn't want to revert those enhancements. The optimization was done a month ago and everything was fine up until about a week and a half ago so I doubt that has anything to do with it. 

Is this a common bug/defect? What can I do to start fixing this issue? I am adept at best when dealing with these things, I can follow directions but I know little about the nuts and bolts about network troubleshooting. I just want this to stop, I am a teacher and I can NOT have my router WiFi and Ethernet both going out in the middle of my zoom classes....UGH

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
IBTwist
Aspirant

I do want to add that IPv6 is disabled on the router. I have seen some people ask that question.

Message 2 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like the unit might be restarting itself... When the error occurs, am I right in thinking that the only light that stays on is an orange power light?

Which firmware version are you using?

Message 3 of 9
IBTwist
Aspirant

Yep that is exactly what the lights are doing. Why would it be restarting itself, is that something in the settings that is making it do that or is it something more to do with the hardware? 

My firmware is V.2.3.2.56

Message 4 of 9
IBTwist
Aspirant

Just happened two more times today. Doing the same exact thing. Definitely seems like its resetting itself. Please give me any guidance on what to do, is this a settings issue, firmware issue, or is it just a hardware issue and does it need to be replaced?? 

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have it plugged into a power extender? If so plug directly into a wall outlet and see if that resolves it please.
Message 6 of 9
IBTwist
Aspirant

No it is plugged in directly to a wall outlet and always has been. Probably asking an obvious question here, but if power is insufficient in a particular outlet, would that really just cause it to reset rather than power off completely? Seems interesting to me. Also, if I moved it to another outlet or another location in the house, would that theoretically fix the issue as well? Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
IBTwist
Aspirant

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've seen it before yes. Yes please try that, it may be better in another location.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7