× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadySHARE Storage < 200 MB

ron_spruce
Star

ReadySHARE Storage < 200 MB

Posting here since Netduma does not handle ReadyShare troubleshooting.

I have a NETGEAR XR1000 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router and a compatible external hard drive (WD My Book 2 TB model WDBYCC0020HBK-NESN). I have reformatted it to exFAT using my Intel iMac desktop computer and I was able to connect it to my router. In the menu (Settings > USB Functions > ReadySHARE Storage) I can see that the total space is 196.9M, which is very much not what the capacity should be. I read that this can happen when some external HDDs are partitioned with two or more but mine is unpartitioned. 

readyshare.jpg

I have also tried this with the HDD's file system formatted with Mac OS Extended and APFS and those didn't work.

I'd be glad to supply any further info, thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the ensure drive is fully wiped and doesn't have a separate partition that the router maybe seeing first. 

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As you know this isn't within our expertise but I'll jump in to try and get the ball rolling. You have a folder there, USB_Storage, is that a folder you have created on the drive? From what I've seen you need to have one folder that all files are then contained within otherwise it may not work correctly so if you haven't already make sure all files are in that folder/create one.

Another thing, it could quite simply come down to the fact that your drive isn't supported/hasn't been tested. I realize the XR1000 isn't listed in this supported drive list but the R9000 & XR500 you can look at and that should apply https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Which-USB-drives-are-verified-to-work-with-NETGEAR-ReadySHARE?article=1... maybe it would be worth trying one of these drives and seeing if it works? There does appear to be this one WD My Book Essential 4TB / PN:WDBACW0040HBK-H11 that is in the same family as the one you currently have.
Message 3 of 7
ron_spruce
Star

When I checked the HDD there were no folders within it as I had reformatted it to AFPS (non encrypted). I then made a new folder named USBStorage and also renamed the HDD that:

usbstorage.jpg

Seems like you might be right about this being unsupported. I'm hoping that the next one I buy doesn't have the same problem.

Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I'm afraid we can't see that screenshot just yet as it's not been moderated. Perhaps try attaching it to the post instead of pasting it in?

Are there any partitions on the drive that match the size your router appears to be detecting? If so, is that partition any different in terms of formatting etc to the one you're trying to mount here?

Message 5 of 7
ron_spruce
Star

There is just one partition that I can tell from Disk Utility. I'm going to do a factory reset on my router for another issue and then try this again. Are there any well-written setup tutorials on this community board that you recommend I use?

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

In terms of setup tutorials for readySHARE specifically, I'm not aware of any, you could try following this if you haven't already:

https://kb.netgear.com/20129/Creating-a-ReadySHARE-Network-Folder-and-Permission-Editing

In terms of setup guides for DumaOS, you can find all of our optimal settings guides here:

https://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7