× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rebooting XR500 will not connect to internet

Guffy
Aspirant

Rebooting XR500 will not connect to internet

Purchased router in May 2020. XR500 & Arris SB6190... When rebooting network (whether for performance based or firmware update or power outage) I must unplug hardwired Ethernet connections prior to the router rebooting otherwise I will have no internet. This as well as inconsistent smart home devices not connecting to network has been an ongoing struggle since July 2020. Firmware is up to date. Have performed reset and setup router again (twice). Gave up on Netduma (probably my fault) but no matter what settings I mess with regarding this OS it just increases failure in something else. At this point I leave all the gaming stuff and allocation settings disabled or what they were set on out of the box.
Any suggestions or links anyone knows of to help would be appreciated. I tried calling, not realizing that 1 yr manufacturers warranties are helpful unless you pay a premium. I have yet found a solution online (netgear forums or web links) that have helped.
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Hey,

Could you explain this a little further? Do you mean that you will not have an internet connection over these devices when the router comes back up again?

If there were any other issues you experienced that caused you to give up on DumaOS, just let us know and we'd be happy to help.

Message 2 of 14
Guffy
Aspirant

So yes no internet upon a reboot of the router. To ensure that the router will reboot with internet I must disconnect the hardwired devices I have connected, then allow the router to reboot. I have tried removing 1 Ethernet connection at a time and rebooting to see if it was a specific device, this does not matter. I have my PC and an Linksys gigabit switch hardwired to the router. Removing one or the other does not change the outcome. Remove both and it will reboot with internet. (Note* I tried an Ethernet cable not connected to any device, same result not internet upon reboot). I also have Wemo and Philips hue devices that have intermittent issues, mainly app being able to connect to the devices.
DumaOS issue, I finally found settings that worked well with my area for server connections while gaming. Then I started having problems with my Ring devices not staying connected or my app not being able to connect and see a camera. Disable Duma no consistent problems with Ring. Also adjusting priority or bandwidth induces lag on my gaming pc.

The router is setup for Auto Connect between 2.4/5. I have previously tried separating the bands but saw no change in device performance.
Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you're disconnecting the devices are you also disconnecting the ethernet cable connecting the router to the modem? If you reboot the modem just after you reboot the router (devices connected) does the internet come back up? Just to clarify, you're referring to disabling QoS completely? If so re-enable it and instead disable DumaOS Classified Games and any manual rules on Traffic Prioritization and see if it still works. How were you prioritizing the PC previously? For those devices I would advise disabling Smart Connect - you can try adjusting the co-existence option and I would suggest using a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that.
Message 4 of 14
Guffy
Aspirant

Rebooting network process.
Unplug power to both modem and router.
Disconnect Ethernet on LAN port 1&2.
Plug in modem, wait for led to turn to appropriate colors to signify service has been established.
Wait an additional 2-3 minutes
Plug in router to power await internet to flow through the gateway, test on cell phone to see it working.
Plug in Lan 1&2. (If I were to leave LAN 1&2 plugged in during this reboot process end result is no internet. This is flawed to me, if power goes out and system reboots upon power restored I will have no internet till I reboot with above listed sequence.). I did a test one day with the lab port and rebooting, I disconnected my two ethernet cables and then connected and unused cat 6 cable to the router on port 1 and then again on port 4. With this cat 6 cable connected to the router and nothing else I still had the same result with rebooting which was not active internet from the router. The modem was good but the router failed to see internet. Maybe I have a compatibility with my Arris SB6190, but as many networks as I have hooked up over the years I have not experienced this before. First time for everything in tech though.

I will test the DumaOS later, at this time it is not paramount to me. I would rather solve the rebooting and device dropping from WiFi randomly first. I am not home most of the week and with online schooling happening at the home I need the network to not be a hassle for my wife (as it was this morning).
Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Excluding the fact they're wired, do the connect devices have anything else in common?

Are they both using static IPs or using DHCP?

Message 6 of 14
Guffy
Aspirant

DHCP
Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried assigning them a static IP and seeing if this helps matters?

Message 8 of 14
Guffy
Aspirant

On the PC yes, No change. The system must be rebooted this way even if I have a Ethernet cable connected to the router that is not connected to any device at (literally just hanging there, it was one of my tests).
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

If you attempt a reboot with devices connected via ethernet, do you notice anything in the logs relating to those interfaces?

This might help determine what's causing the issue.

Message 10 of 14
blackshirt40
Guide

i have similar problem where ill admit it doesnt happen a lot, but i will have to pull ethernet cable conected to modem and then reconnect it to get internet again. reboots wont fix it. only pulling the cord  conected to the modem

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set a static IP for the XR WAN IP (if you're using a modem/router combo) and that should help.
Message 12 of 14
Guffy
Aspirant

I will test the static ip Monday, thank you for the advice everyone else. I have been too busy to mess with the router as of late.
Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

No problem, let us know the result of your testing!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7