× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommend modem to use with XR500? DSL/Centurylink

StevieDream
Aspirant

Recommend modem to use with XR500? DSL/Centurylink

I recently purchased the XR500 online and didn't realize it wouldn't include a DSL phone input lol. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a setup that would work reliably for me without too much hassle, particularly any modem suggestions to pair with it. Any help us appreciated.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Recommend modem to use with XR500? DSL/Centurylink

Any modem would work really, would suggest a DOCSIS 3.1 though.
Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you're on DSL a docsis modem won't do you any good as its a cable modem and not dsl. 

Centurylink has a list of compatible modems. 

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/compatible-modems.html

keep in mind that many of their devices are modem/router combo devices. You'd want to disable the router portion of the modem/router to prevent a double nat. 

Message 3 of 5
StevieDream
Aspirant

Unfortunately the Greenwave C4000 gateway they gave me crashes completely when you try to access the router settings, even bridge mode, as a deterrent and requires a hard reset every time you try. That's been my issue. I was hoping to find a simple single port modem to pair with the router, but have been unsuccessful in finding one so far. All the the CTL-approved devices I've seen seem to be gateways or archaic.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sadly there's not a lot of support for dsl anymore. Netgear does have the DM200 that has a modem only mode. My parents use it for their dsl. But its a struggle to find anymore. Usually you have to find it 2nd hand. Its not on centurlyink's list but it does work. 

Something else to ask centurylink is even just for them to replace their modem. Maybe they'll give you one that can be put in modem only mode or has a DMZ that you can put in for the netgear. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7