× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommended switch for gaming?

That_GamerYT
Apprentice

Recommended switch for gaming?

What unmanaged switch is good for gaming with the XR500? I've heard these are good:

GS308

•Black color matches XR500 and other computers in my home

•3 year limited hardware warranty

•Fanless and energy efficient (IEEE 802.3az)
•Gigabit ethernet

•Low cost (Amazon $19.99)

GS908/e? (Idk if e is managed or unmanaged)

•White color doesn't match XR500 and other computers in my home

•3 year limited hardware warranty

•Cable management in back along with a USB port (Although I've heard the "holes" are only wide enough to fit cheap, small cables and not big ones like some of my Cat6 ones which are pretty thick)

•Gigabit ethernet

•A little hard to find and decent cost (Amazon $35.00)

GS108

•Blue color doesn't match XR500 and other computers in my home

•Lifetime ProSafe limited hardware warranty (Although my friend said the warranty doesn't cover much and isn't worth it)

•Gigabit ethernet

•High cost ($39.99 when compared to GS308)

Sorry for all the long info but correct me if I got anything wrong about the switches. Right now I'm currently leaning toward the GS308 since the black color matches everything and it has pretty much the same features except for cable management which doesn't work that well and ProSafe which is kind of complicated too. My friend also has it and he says it's good and has lasted like 10 years. Let me know your thoughts and no, I don't own a business, just looking for an unmanaged switch that can handle speeds of 250/12 from Spectrum connected to XR500 without lag and good for gaming (Might switch to AT&T fiber, but definitely not getting gig plan, but I'm pretty sure they're all gigabit, but we'll see). Thanks guys!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If port 1 is the WAN port in that scenario then yes absolutely they will appear as though they are connected to the router and the router sees it that way too - as you put, just like having more ethernet ports.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you want an unmanaged switch then it doesn't matter - they're sometimes referred to as a 'dumb' switch as all they do is pass traffic through. So literally anyone will do if it can handle your speeds.
Message 2 of 7
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

So when you say "pass traffic through", you mean I can manage the devices connected to it from the router? So for example, If I plug in the router to port 1 on GS308 and I have my PC in port 2, PS4 in port 3, TV in port 4, etc., they will appear on LAN in the device manager and they will appear in hybrid VPN for me to manage? Basically is it just like as if the router has more ethernet ports from the unmanaged switch?

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If port 1 is the WAN port in that scenario then yes absolutely they will appear as though they are connected to the router and the router sees it that way too - as you put, just like having more ethernet ports.
Message 4 of 7
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

Ight bet.

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 7

So wil QOS stil werk for bandwidth alocaytion and trafic prioritisation?

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes as the router sees them as directly connected it is able to apply those features to the devices.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7