× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restrict a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

alexrw
Follower

Restrict a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

With Smart Connect on, can you restrict devices to 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz by default? I'm having issues with devices jumping around and then being restricted by 2.4 Ghz bandwidth when they shouldn't be.

What I'd ideally like is the ability to "pin" select devices to 5 Ghz, and have everything else float.

Or is the solution to use QoS and/or turn off Smart Connect?  I'd rather not create two distinct SSIDs, but understand that could be a solution as well.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Restrict a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

Hi Alex, I don't believe there is a way to do that with smart connect on. It should be automatically detecting the needs of that device and then switching the band it's using accordingly. It could be that if there is a lul in internet traffic - say your YouTube video has finished buffering that it then switches to 2.4Ghz for example.

The solution would be to disable smart connect and have two SSIDs broadcasting. Though you do raise a good idea!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Restrict a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

Hi Alex, I don't believe there is a way to do that with smart connect on. It should be automatically detecting the needs of that device and then switching the band it's using accordingly. It could be that if there is a lul in internet traffic - say your YouTube video has finished buffering that it then switches to 2.4Ghz for example.

The solution would be to disable smart connect and have two SSIDs broadcasting. Though you do raise a good idea!
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7