× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Dropping Internet Connection

Router Dropping Internet Connection

Morning,

I have owned the XR500 for about 8 months. It was running beautifully and now it continuously drops the internet. This happens to everything that is connected via wifi. (I cant connect via ethernet due to where the modem is setup in the house) I am running an ARRIS Surfboard 6183 modem. Both are completely up to date on firmware. Xfinity has tested my modem and reset it multiple times. The XR500 will flash the orange light saying there is no internet while the modem says its fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have redownloaded and installed the firmware manually to no avail.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Router Dropping Internet Connection

After doing more digging into the forums. I have turned off the smart connect feature and will test it for 24 hours to see if that resolves the issue.

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us updated with what you find!
Message 3 of 8

It worked for about 48 hours and has started doing it again. Not sure what else to do now. My wife works from home so this is a super inconvenient problem. I always have top of the line anti virus and security. I’ve checked firewall security settings etc and nothing there should be messing with the routers WiFi. Please let me know if you have any ideas other than what I listed in the original post
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Possible that because of auto upgrade it's upgraded you onto a firmware that's caused the issue. Try downgrading to this firmware and see if it performs better https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32
Message 6 of 8

The firmware currently loaded is the latest. I also re-did it manually in case it had auto upgraded wrong. (Not home right now so I can’t look the specific firmware name). But I know it’s the latest. There are only two other WiFi’s by (the neighbors) they’re only showing one to two bars. Our house is about 2800 square feet but it’s in the center of the house and shows full bars in every room. I would hope with how expensive the router it is, it would cover it. I will try both of the suggestions you had with the beaming and the channels as soon as I am home.
it shows it has internet via the lights on the actual router. The WiFi devices pick up the network and are connected but there is no internet.
Message 7 of 8

Will give that a shot too, thank you! Will post again once I run through both of yalls suggestions.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7