× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rx700 internet drops, bad packet loss

Eribos_
Tutor

Rx700 internet drops, bad packet loss

Hello everyone,
Any help is greatly appreciated. I've have researched as much as I think I can at the moment for trouble shooting the rx700. I have already updated the firmware. The WiFi is pretty much non existent, it will work at first for about 10-20sec then will drop pretty fast. I'm getting horrible packet loss on the PC and PS4. At the the range is not very good either.

My modem is tested and running great I have been in contact with my ISP already. Modem is the sb8200 and when it was connected to the Netgear r7500 work just find with great range.

I'm currently running about 10 devices in my house only 2 is on LAN. This can barely run one, I've spent good money and for that was expecting it to work. I'm stuck at what to do.

Thanks for any help!
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Rx700 internet drops, bad packet loss

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Is Beamforming Enabled? MiMo? 

What FW version is currently loaded? 

Message 2 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

I will look and try this tonight when I get home. Thank you for the info.

I have 3 other neighbors with WiFi.
Message 3 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Do also see issues when testing wired with packet loss? 

Message 4 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Also can you give us an idea of what speeds you pay for and if you've put them into Anti-Bufferbloats settings? An often overlooked cause is the ethernet cables, are they old? If so they could be faulty.
Message 5 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

FURRYe38

Yes I still have packet loss when wired.

Message 6 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

Netduma-Fraser, I'm currently going through xfinity

with 400mbps DL / 10mbps UL. I have not put them into Anti-Bufferbloats. all my cables are under a year old and look good.
Message 7 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a bad unit. 

If you factory reset everything and test again right after setting up and using wired and still have issues. I would get the unit replaced. 

Do you see this when directly connected to the ISP modem? 

Message 8 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make sure you input your speeds into QoS otherwise you may be throttling too heavily which may cause packet loss
Message 9 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

I have set my speed into QoS and still having same issues. I did a hard reset and that worked for almost an hour then started to happen again. 

Plugged straight into my ISP works great.

Message 10 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you downgrade to the previous firmware please and see if you get the same issues
Message 11 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

Re: XR700 internet drops, bad packet loss

Flashed with older FW working so far I will update in a day or two. Thanks everyone!
Message 12 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

Didn't need a day or two old firmware has the same issues. I will mess with it till this weekend, I will try the individual IP addresse. Sad to say but I probably will be returning this book stand. Great advertisement and everything looks good on paper but does not perform. This was released before proper R&D was done.
Message 13 of 55
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I'll email the NETGEAR project manager for the XR700 now as he may be able to send you a hotfix firmware to help with your problem. He will be in touch on this forum if he can help. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

Message 14 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

Thank you, I will wait to see if that works.
Message 15 of 55
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks - we've emailed them so hopefully you will get a response soon.

Message 16 of 55
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

One quick question that a developer has just asked me to ask you - when you next have a disconnect could you try and go to your Geo-Filter page. Do you see an error message?

Message 17 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

Yes it does, It makes me have to factory reset for it to go away.

Message 18 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the error message that you're getting?
Message 19 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

It's about a paragraph long, I can hook it back up tonight and take a picture of it and send it if that helps.
Message 20 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that'd be really helpful thank you
Message 21 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': Unterminated JSON encoded object found at position in [] -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> [C]: in function 'assert' ?: in function 'decode' ?: in function <?:28> ?: in function <?:324> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:290> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:345> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:261> (tail call): ? /dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' /dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk [C]: ?

Message 22 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

I get that error, wired in. also the wifi is still very weak and does not reach near as far as my old R7500. I start losing wifi when i go upstairs in my 1900sqft house. I have done several wifi speed test now for both of the routers. normally get 70-120mbps DL and 10-12mbps UL,

the xr700 im getting 19mbps DL and 10-11mbps UL.  seems like my Upload is fine but the down load is horrid. hope this also helps

How close are they to releasing the hotfix?

Message 23 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does that error appear all the time? If you disable Ping Assist on the Geo-Filter does the error and disconnections stop?

Could you respond to FURRY questions regarding WiFi at the beginning of the post please and then I can best advise.
Message 24 of 55
Eribos_
Tutor

after a few hours of reboots and testing, this is what ive found....

Ready?...

No change.../sigh

not meant to be mean, just funny sarcastic. lol

I still get the error on the geo-filter when devices are attached. The error gos away after I remove them.

I have tried every option available on the UI, with ping assist ect...

I have giving one to six devises there own IP one at a time. Problem still exist, takes longer on fewer devises but still happens.

changed channels on 2.4 and 5 - works at first then drops connection, not fully at times just horrible picture quality on tv's.

ive tried taking off and on the following options in different orders.

beamforming

mimo

smart connect

ivp6

Message 25 of 55
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7