× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

STEAMLINK XR500 PERFORMANCE ISSUE

usermac
Luminary

STEAMLINK XR500 PERFORMANCE ISSUE

I am useing the steamlink to stream games and for some reason the performace seems worse on the XR500 compared to my old bt smart hub so I must have something set up not right. I am wondering if this is has something to do with the nighthawk and its QOS related settings. I have the router and the steamlink connected via ethernet as wireless streaming performance is choppy.

I did try adding the steamlink to the trafic priorty but that wants me to assign a game to it and then there is a advanced option but I dont undestand what to do with that. I am not sure what I doing wrong as the steamlink usually works great but not so much on the nighthawk at the moment.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: STEAMLINK XR500 PERFORMANCE ISSUE

Hi there - you don't want to add it to Traffic Prioritisation. That's used for low latency, low bandwidth applications like gaming.

Instead, you want to use Bandwidth Allocation, which lets you set aside bandwidth for the devices you want to have it. I recommend you allocate as much bandwidth as you want to the device on Bandwidth Allocation. Do this for both upload and download.

I also recommend setting Anti-Bufferbloat to either 'Never' mode or 'High Priority Traffic Detected' mode and not setting the sliders any lower than 70%.

Now see if things are cleaner. If it's still choppy, go to the Network Monitor when it's being choppy and see if there are there any other devices on your network that are consuming a lot of bandwidth

Message 2 of 9
usermac
Luminary

The way the Steam link works is it streems your gaming pc over the network onto the telly by LAN OR WIFI. 

At the same time my pc is pluged into Nighhawk XR500 and also the Steam link. The steam link just needs the best connection either LAN or WIFI. No internet is needed as the gaming pc is the device that uses the internet and the steam link is kind of like a mirror as such working down the the network. 

Does the XR500 and The ANTI- BUFFERBLOAT limit just internet speed or does it limit the speed of all networking tasks.

There was an option on the steam link that said enable trafic contol on modern routers I checked that and I belive it has inprooved things abit but I do get ocasional lag spike. 

Message 3 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Anti-Bufferbloat throttles your bandwidth to ensure congestion no longer occurs. So it does not limit anything other than your internet speeds. Other network tasks will not be impacted.

Have you allocated bandwidth using Bandwidth Allocation too?

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Message 4 of 9
usermac
Luminary

Thanks for getting back to me

I do not see any option for Bandwidth Allocation on the router but I do see an option on the steam link to priortize network traffic on the steam link is that what you mean ? Because I have that on  please see picture 

Message 5 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

The Bandwidth Allocation is a feature on the XR500. It is in the QoS section. If you go there you should be able to give more bandwidth to your streamlink device.

Try this and see if it improves things.

Message 6 of 9
usermac
Luminary

The max bandwidth I have is 21mbps I set this to 100% and that makes no difference. The steam link does not use internet bandwith it is like a chrome cast and relies on the home network.It can use wifi or Lan. No internet

Message 7 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Oh I see! Penny has finally dropped.

Ignore any advice about QoS - this just affects your WAN usage (I.e. internet) and your issue is just isolated to your local network.

If you are using a wired connection I can’t think why this would be any worse than your BT hub.

Do you still have your hub set to router mode? It may be worth just connecting your SteamLink back to the hub as it won’t affect your overall network to do so. Can you do this and see if it is better?
Message 8 of 9
usermac
Luminary

At the moment it seems equal in performance using the hub will report back  If I see any change.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7