× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set up advice for new equipment?

gpwdr
Aspirant

Set up advice for new equipment?

Could someone tell me what to buy?

My cable company requirements; 

Certifying Devices for the Cox Network

The DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 devices listed below meet our service and performance requirements and are certified for use with all Cox High Speed Internet packages.

• Speeds are not guaranteed and may vary based on individual circumstances.
  • Cox does not promote or endorse any particular device or manufacturer for your use.
  • Review the modem manufacturer’s specifications to choose a device based on your individual needs.

DOCSIS 3.0

DOCSIS 3.0 or higher devices are required for all new Cox High Speed Internet customers. Current Cox customers should ensure they have a minimum of a DOCSIS 3.0 device in order to consistently receive optimal speeds. Additionally, Ultimate customers are required to have a minimum of a DOCSIS 3.0 device with a minimum of 16x4 or higher channel bonding to achieve package speeds.

DOCSIS 3.1

DOCSIS 3.1 devices listed below are certified for use with all Cox High Speed Internet package speeds.

• Cox-certified DOCSIS 3.1 devices are backward-compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 technology.
  • DOCSIS 3.1 service may not be available in all areas.

Special Recommendations for WiFi

• If your primary Internet usage will be via wireless devices such as laptops, tablets, and mobile devices, Cox recommends a dual band 802.11-AC WiFi modem. Dual band 802.11-AC WiFi modems provides the best in-home WiFi experience.
  • To learn more about WiFi, visit www.cox.com/wifisupport.

The Highest Compatible Package outlined in the table below is based on a wired connection.

Certifying Devices for the Cox Network

The DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 devices listed below meet our service and performance requirements and are certified for use with all Cox High Speed Internet packages.

• Speeds are not guaranteed and may vary based on individual circumstances.
  • Cox does not promote or endorse any particular device or manufacturer for your use.
  • Review the modem manufacturer’s specifications to choose a device based on your individual needs.

DOCSIS 3.0

DOCSIS 3.0 or higher devices are required for all new Cox High Speed Internet customers. Current Cox customers should ensure they have a minimum of a DOCSIS 3.0 device in order to consistently receive optimal speeds. Additionally, Ultimate customers are required to have a minimum of a DOCSIS 3.0 device with a minimum of 16x4 or higher channel bonding to achieve package speeds.

DOCSIS 3.1

DOCSIS 3.1 devices listed below are certified for use with all Cox High Speed Internet package speeds.

• Cox-certified DOCSIS 3.1 devices are backward-compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 technology.
  • DOCSIS 3.1 service may not be available in all areas.

• If your primary Internet usage will be via wireless devices such as laptops, tablets, and mobile devices, Cox recommends a dual band 802.11-AC WiFi modem. Dual band 802.11-AC WiFi modems provides the best in-home WiFi experience.

The Highest Compatible Package outlined in the table below is based on a wired connection.

I would like to buy the best. I like online gamming and have a ethernet wired to the basement gamming room. Do I buy a gamming router too? Anything else I should buy? I want the best.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
iwrestledabear
Aspirant

The c7800 is a combo unit. So having that and the XR500 is a little overkill since the XR500 is router with really great capabilities. It'll make the router part of the 7800 unnecessary. You could save yourself some money by returning the c7800 and getting the cm1000 instead.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like they do not provide you with a modem so you will need to buy that. If you want to buy a router and like gaming then the XR500 would be my recommendation. Gives you the best connection possible https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr500/
Message 2 of 9
gpwdr
Aspirant

OK. Is the best Netgear modem to get? Per Cox requirments?

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1

Message 3 of 9
iwrestledabear
Aspirant

I'm not sure if you have bought a modem or router yet, but I'd suggest getting separate devices. The Nighthawk x4s is a combo unit with modem and router together. It's good if you only want basic control, but firmware updates will be at the mercy of your ISP. I'd suggest the cm1000 for your modem. It's docsis 3.1 and should be supported by your ISP as well. I'd double check that though. For router I'd suggest the r7800 if you're on a budget and the xr500 if you're not.

Message 4 of 9
gpwdr
Aspirant

The CM1000 doesn't have dual band and COX suggest a dual band modems?

Message 5 of 9
gpwdr
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
gpwdr
Aspirant

I bought the XR500 and the C7800. Should I return the C7800 and get the CM1000?

Message 7 of 9
iwrestledabear
Aspirant

The c7800 is a combo unit. So having that and the XR500 is a little overkill since the XR500 is router with really great capabilities. It'll make the router part of the 7800 unnecessary. You could save yourself some money by returning the c7800 and getting the cm1000 instead.

Message 8 of 9
gpwdr
Aspirant

Thanks

I'm doing that now, I'm returning the C7800 and getting the CM1000 so I can get upgrades as well? Now I can't wait to use the CM1000 with the XR500!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7