× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Access Point

Hedake
Aspirant

Setting up Access Point

Hi,

TLDR - How do I setup a Nighthawk X6 to act as an access point for an XR500 (Main Router)?

Overview

I just installed a XR500 as the main router in our house. I would like to setup our old router (Nighthawk X6) as an access point in another part of the house. Most of the reference on how to setup an access point I have found references the netgear standard interface (i.e. where to go). I am new to this process as well as the DumaOS. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a post on how to do this through the DumaOS or if possible walk me through the steps? I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

John

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi John, just to clarify you want to set up the X6 in access point mode to connect behind the XR500 and use that for WiFi? If so then you just need to connect the X6 to the XR500 and then follow the references you've found to put the X6 in access point mode. You won't need to do anything on DumaOS.

If you want to set the XR500 to access point mode then its in Settings > Setup > Router mode, though I would not recommend this because you would not be able to utilise any of the XR500's amazing features.
Message 2 of 7
Hedake
Aspirant

Hi Netduma-Fraser,

Thanks for responding. You are correct the X6 is the access point. I connect the X6 to the XR500 via cable as the reference says but when i got to the routerlogin page, i get the DumaOS and cannot find an option to set the X6 to access point. Do I need to disconnect the XR500 and just have the X6 online and goto routerlogin with that? Sorry if I am confusing it. I just cant get to where I see the X6 to set it to an access point.

Thanks,

John

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi John,

The easiest way would be to change the XR500 or the X6's LAN IP before you connect it to the XR500. Then when you plug the X6 into the XR500 you go to the interface of the X6 via the LAN IP rather than using routerlogin.net.
Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
The easiest way would be to change the XR500 or the X6's LAN IP before you connect it to the XR500.

Assuming the X6 is already in AP mode, check the XR500 Attached Devices/DHCP table for the IP assigned to the X6.

As the X6 does not handle DHCP and DNS, the routerlogin.com and Co. can't be used to resolve the X6 LAN IP address in AP (or bridge) mode.

Message 5 of 7
Hedake
Aspirant

Hi again,

I apologize in the delay to getting back to you. So the X6 was last connected as the main router. The XR500 is not the main router. Do I need to disconnect the XR500 and connect the X6, then change it to AP mode?

Basically the state I am in is, X6 was disconnected while still the main router. The XR500 is setup now as the main router. 

It sounds like I need to reconnect the X6 as main and change it to access point mode? Then connect the XR500 as main and attach the X6 to it? Sorry for the confusion.

Also, once I have the X6 setup as the access point while connected to the XR500 do I just disconnect it (via the lan cable) and move it to the location in the house and plug it in?

Thanks for any help.

John

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi John,

Set it up the XR500 as the main router and give it a random LAN IP so it doesn't conflict with the X6. Then plug in the X6 to the XR500. Connect via ethernet to the X6 and set it to AP mode. That's it then it's done!

The X6 will still need to be connected to the router otherwise it will not receive internet.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7