× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up a static route.

G4Captain
Star

Setting up a static route.

So I'm trying to set up a static route for my surrond sound system, so it's easier for my wife to use the sound system. I put in all the information that it asks for, including the IP address that is assigned to the sorrund system. When I select "Apply," it gives an error saying I have the wrong IP address for the device.

If I don't use the IP address the router has assigned to the sound system, what do I put in? Any one have any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that's a different feature, under LAN Setup add a reservation for the device

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is a static route definitely what you need to setup in order to resolve the issue? Whats the issue with using the sound system?
Message 2 of 10
G4Captain
Star

There's an app on the Ipad she uses to control it. Everytime the sound system is turned off, the IP address is changed. Once the IP address changes, the silly app can't find it any more.

I would like to give it a static address so she doesn't have any more issues with the app. I travel a lot, and I'm not always home to fix it for her.

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would just advise setting a static IP for the device then in LAN Setup and that should achieve what you want
Message 4 of 10
G4Captain
Star

Would that not be under the static routes option?

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that's a different feature, under LAN Setup add a reservation for the device
Message 6 of 10
G4Captain
Star

Thanks a lot!

Message 7 of 10
dpower22
Initiate

Hi I trying to set up a static route to block google dns.  When i enter 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and click apply the router changes it to 8.8.8.0 & 8.8.4.0.  I am on the latest firmware

Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean by block Google DNS? If you don't want to use it then just change your DNS to something else
Message 9 of 10
dpower22
Initiate

https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000173593-Blocking-Public-DNS-Netgear-Router

I figured it out, I changed the IP Subnet Mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.252 and google dns is now blocked.  Thanks for getting back to me.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7