× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I change dns instead of using my isp's?

droesw
Guide

Should I change dns instead of using my isp's?

I've heard people recommend me to change my dns server instead of using my isp's by using namebench to figure out which would be best, but I'm a little confused as to how this will benefit or affect my connection and latency/ping. Latency and gaming is the most important thing to me, but I'm unsure if changing dns will affect ping at all? I've hear from some that it doesn't but others say it does, not sure what to do or believe right now.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Should I change dns instead of using my isp's?

A lot depends on your isp.  Some have better than others dns servers. Thats why testing is important. Here's a great article with a more through explanation as well as other reasons to change from your isp's server.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/364418/how-and-why-to-change-your-dns-server

Message 2 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

A DNS server will only be used to facilitate your initial connection to a website. Beyond that initial connection, the speeds will be the same no matter which you use.

Message 3 of 6
droesw
Guide

ok, but it won't affect my in game latency or ping in any way, correct?        And also would you recommend running a namebench test and using the dns it says is the best for me?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

latency/ping is different from your internet speeds. 

If your Isp supplied dns server is poorly managed or slow, changing to a faster dns server will help ping/latency which can help in games. It won't make your internet speeds any faster though. 

I've never used namebench but I have switched dns providers based upon ping testing them from various providers (and isp provider). I've used the tools at dslreports.com to test with before. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

When testing DNS servers, be sure to directly test with a wired PC connected to the modem. By pass the router. After you get results, then reconnect and then you can configure the router to use other DNS. 

Other DNS you can try is 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. 

You'll need to play with DNS servers to see what works best for you. 

@droesw wrote:

I've heard people recommend me to change my dns server instead of using my isp's by using namebench to figure out which would be best, but I'm a little confused as to how this will benefit or affect my connection and latency/ping. Latency and gaming is the most important thing to me, but I'm unsure if changing dns will affect ping at all? I've hear from some that it doesn't but others say it does, not sure what to do or believe right now.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series