× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I factory reset router before moving?

droesw
Guide

Should I factory reset router before moving?

In a few days I’m going to be moving to a different house and am taking my xr500 with me. It’s going to be with the same isp from my old house but obviously the location and IP address is going to change. Also I will be living with completely new people than I did at the old house. Since I’m moving should I do a factory reset on the router before using it in the new house, or just leave it the way it is?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Leave the way it is. Just power it off. When you get to the new home and ISP service, power the modem off for 30 seconds then back on, then after connecting the XR, power it on. 

Be ware that some modems already have built in routers. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above it isn't necessary. If you fail to get a connection at the new place then go through the setup wizard again in Settings - no need to factory reset to do this.
Message 3 of 7
droesw
Guide

Would factory resetting it have any potential harm to the router, or do you just think it's unnecessesary? I'm just asking becasue there are some things in the routers settings I need reset, such as list of devices because most of the ones on the router currently won't be used at my new house. It just seems easier to hard reset rather than go through and remove each individual one, unless you think there would be any drawbacks or harm to factory resetting?

Message 4 of 7
droesw
Guide

I already have the modem for the new house and know for a fact that it's just a modem, and no built in router. I've also heard that my isp blocks anyone from being able to modifty the modem itself.

But do you think factory resetting it have any potential harm to the router, or do you just think it's unnecessesary? I'm just asking becasue there are some things in the routers settings I need reset, such as list of devices because most of the ones on the router currently won't be used at my new house. It just seems easier to hard reset rather than go through and remove each individual one, unless you think there would be any drawbacks or harm to factory resetting?

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first try the router at the new location and see if it all works as is. If not, then factory reset and setup from scratch. Resets only wipe out user configurations and some networking configurations with modems is all. 

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, factory resetting is absolutely safe - it does just that resets it back to a factory state i.e. you set it up from scratch again.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7