× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I get CM1000 and XR500

Turtle6969
Tutor

Should I get CM1000 and XR500

I currently have the C7000 Modem/Router combo and have frequent internet speed drops.  My ping is usually around 88ms.  I have my xbox one hardwired to it but everything else is connected wirelessly.  Would the CM1000 modem and XR500 router be a better setup for me?  I will be hardwired into the XR500 so don't know if it will help with that latency?  I have spectrum 100mb service fyi.  Thank you for any recommendations.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're referring to the ping in internet settings on the Xbox it's only the ping to authentication servers - it's not indicative of your game ping.

The XR500 will ensure that local congestion is never an issue and the Geo-Filter will ensure the closest possible server - those two features combined give you the best connection possible.

The frequent speed drops is however down to your ISP and not something any router could fix. If you're basing that on the Xbox test though console speed tests are inaccurate, you should do it from a wired PC.
Message 2 of 5
Turtle6969
Tutor

I was referring to the xbox setting ping, I didn't know that, thank you.  Will the geo-filtering prevent me from playing mulitiplayer games like The Division and Destiny with friends from another state? 

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We have a feature called Deny & Allow to ensure that you can allow your friends so they're unaffected by the Geo-Filter settings & you can connect to them no matter what.

We tested The Division awhile back and you're unable to use the Filtering aspect of the Geo-Filter with it. Their online may have changed since then so that you can but regardless you can still see the host on the map and ping it.
Message 4 of 5
XRaptor29
Luminary

Yeah my Xbox will ping 47 to 80ms when it comes to speed testing but when gaming I'm doing about 18-24ms ping. That's because if you watch the Geo-Filter when running the speed test it's routing all the way to Seattle Washington for the test. But when gaming your connecting to the closest server usually.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7