× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should i upgrade my XR500 to the XR700

YT-xIndicaxHigh
Aspirant

Should i upgrade my XR500 to the XR700

So i saw there was a XR700 gaming router an i was debating on buying one becuase i dont want to have a router that netgear will stop supporting updates for or come out with updates the XR700 would get that would be awesome for the XR500 but that feature is only Avalable to the XR700. Is the XR700 Worth it & does it comes with more DumaOS features than the XR500 currently has.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The XR700 has the same DumaOS features as the XR500, but Netgear has added some extra features themselves. The biggest one is that the XR700 can be used as a Plex Media Server.

If you're only thinking about upgrading because you're worried that Netgear will drop support for the XR500, then you needn't be worried. Netduma is planning to keep DumaOS up to date on all of our current supported routers, and we're not planning to stop updating the XR500.

Message 2 of 6
JNewms
Guide

Aside from features, how much performance improvement is there on the 700 over the 500? I’m replacing my 500 soon. I’ve had it for just shy of two years now, and I’ve given up on seeing any performance improvements. It seems that the 700 is the only router that’s being actively supported.

I was added to the beta channel months ago for the supposedly upcoming xr500 beta, and it was never released. Instead, only the 700 was. I have gigabit fiber and need a router that’s able to take advantage of those speeds. The 500 has never been able to do that.
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR500 is still very widely supported, whether or not a beta firmware is available or not doesn't indicate the support level it receives. Generally there isn't a beta for the routers but there was one for the XR700 for a particular bug that needed to get sorted. If you play on WiFi a lot then you may see some improvement especially with your speeds as the router could output much closer to those levels. Gaming doesn't require much bandwidth and they both use the same tools DumaOS provides.
Message 4 of 6
JNewms
Guide

No, beta doesn’t determine support levels on its own, but I didn’t claim it did. The lack of support is from a year and a half of using a flawed product that hasn’t seen any meaningful updates. The update from a couple months ago was a very small update that didn’t address Abby is the issues that are posted in these forums daily. In theory, the 500’s hardware should be great for fiber speeds, yet it has never been able to accomplish them.

So in summary, would upgrading to the 700 only have an improvement with WiFi? If that’s the case, I’ll look elsewhere for my next router.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The main improvement is to WiFi. It has better hardware in terms of processing power but right now there's not much to take advantage of it. There will be though in future updates.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7