× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow Upload Speed on XR500

Bruthless1
Guide

Slow Upload Speed on XR500

Hello,

I’m writing this to see if there is something I might need to change in my router settings or somewhere is that might address the problem I’m having with my internet speeds on my Xbox one. I have a gigabit intenet connection and when I connect an Ethernet cable to my laptop, I get about 850 mbs/850 mbs using Speedtest.net. When I disconnect this same Ethernet cord and hook it up to my Xbox one and run the network test on the actual Xbox, I get about 800+mbs on the download side, but the upload drops to about 20mbs. Does anyone know what could be causing the HUGE drop in my upload speed? I tried turning off my QOS completely, also antibufferbloat or whatever it’s called is 70% for both. I’ve tried with it off, only when high traffic, and the always and I get the same results for all of them. I have inputted my speeds for upload and download in QOS at 900mbs for each.

I’m addition, the ping when using Speedtest.net on the laptop is about 5ms, vs about 45ms using the Xbox speed test.

Thanks,

Bruthless1
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Bruthless1
Guide

Sorry, I’m addition, I have FiOS, the ONT is hooked up directly into the XR500. And I set the MAC address to the same on as my previous g1100 Verizon router. I factory reset my XR500 already and am still getting same results.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the speed results with a wired PC and speedtest.net app connected to the back of the router? 

I tend to not use xbox speed results as a marker. Most game consoles don't give accurate results. Always use a wired PC with the ONT then router to compare results. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

As Furry said, I really wouldn't trust the Xbox test, it's usually very unreliable. If you want to check this for sure, try connecting your Xbox to your modem. Do you get the same low speeds? If so, then it's either a hardware issue e.g. dodgy cabling, dodgy Ethernet adapter on the Xbox etc. But if it's much higher with your modem then it will be something with the router, which we can help you with.

It's also worth keeping in mind consoles need very little upload bandwidth <0.5mbps, so this lower speed won't actually affect your experience (just an annoyance)

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7