× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow download speeds

Xboxonex7
Aspirant

Slow download speeds

Hey guys I’ve tried everything but I’m getting slow download speeds to my Xbox one x. Let me start by saying my set up. First off arres modem straight cat to xr500. Xr500 to Xbox one x. Now in the xr500 prioty set to always. 70/70 like 180mbps download 10 upload. Traffic it automatically picks up the Xbox. So when I download a game/or a update it drops to 1mbps or sometime stops. When I do speed test online or the console everything shows up great even ping etc. now here’s the catch when I change my dns server on the Xbox the download goes to 180 and works fine. The dns server is open dns 208.67.222.222. 208.67.220.220. Someone please help me! Ps ipv6 is enable nat is open on the Xbox it says!
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

First of all I'd disable IPv6. Secondly, so you're saying it works absolutely fine when you have your DNS changed? If so that's great just leave you DNS as that, it'll be better than the ISP standard DNS anyway!
Message 2 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

I can disable ipv6 but I thought there was a advantage to that. Also my ping goes up when I change the dns. I was hoping for a solution to the problem because keeping my dns and this happening isn’t right. Remember this is a 300+ dollar router.
Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It won't really give you an advantage. How much does it go up by? Try 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 instead. Routers are rarely ready to go immediately they'll always require a bit of configuration, you've found this as a solution so try the above one and see if it still works and your ping stays the same
Message 4 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

Disabled 6 still not good plus new dns you have me gives me packet loss no bueno. Anything else?
Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't imagine DNS increasing your ping that much. Try 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4
Message 6 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

Already tried google ping is higher not much but why should I give up my ping speed. Sir something isn’t right obv. My old router this didn’t happen. So something within the router is not correct. I should be able to plug the router in and good. If you don’t have a solution that’s fine, I was just wondering if you had any idea why.
Message 7 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's 1 or 2 ms it's negligible, you wouldn't notice that difference in gameplay. It's likely from what you've said that the ISP hasn't adjusted to the new router. Sometimes this can occur and takes a little while for them to be properly in sync.
Message 8 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

I have had the router since sept how long does a sync need?
Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Definitely not that long, it's possible your ISPs DNS is blocking some of the ports needed for Xbox Live. If you connect console straight to modem what speeds do you get?
Message 10 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

I have never tried a direct connection, however as posted before the speeds listed are fine just when I do the download it’s slow. Anyway you can help me with the port opening what to do?
Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah it's just an Xbox speed issue so I want to see if you get that when it's directly connected to the modem, if you do then it's not to do with the XR500. I mean the ISP may be blocking ports not the router, if it was the router changing DNS wouldn't matter and you'd need to port forward. Try the modem test first and see what happens.
Message 12 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

Speeds are good out of the modem I think you were on to something with this port issue
Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay just to go back a bit. When I've mentioned changing the DNS, you've always been putting this into the Xbox network settings? Not the router? If that's the case, are you taking the ping that the Xbox network test gives you as an indication of your connection quality? If so that is just a ping to the Xbox Live authentication server, it has absolutely no bearing on your game ping. For that you should check the Geo-Filter ping and I doubt that it'll be worse.
Message 14 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

I do 2 ping test one through command prompt on the pc(wired) and when in game call of duty there is a ping test(wired).
Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are you pinging through command prompt? Better to do a speedtest.net to closest server with nothing using the internet. The in game ping takes things like processing delay into account which you can't do anything about and will vary. Better to look at the Geo-Filter ping of the game you're in.
Message 16 of 18
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

Bo4 has a i game setting shows you ping and packet loss in game to the server your in. My old router had no issues. It’s like something is hold the connection back in this router. I think I need to port forward something
Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah I know what you're referring to and that's what I mean, it's taking into account a specific server so could be server issues. I don't think you need to port forward. You've discovered DNS solves it, I'm trying to get you to test properly to see if it impacts your ping negatively
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7