× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow ethernet speed Xr 450

Noahh
Guide

Slow ethernet speed Xr 450

I have at&t fiber 300 mb speed and I use a power line adapter and when I test my wired connection I have really good ping but I’m not even close to 100 mb and when I’m using wireless I’m getting more than 200 mb. Also I feel like my ping should be a bit lower than 25/30 for what my speed is and that I’m only about five hours from the closest server please help
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Slow ethernet speed Xr 450

That sounds like the power adapter slowing your speeds. I have had that happen myself, where the internal wiring is not good enough to handle that speed. Running a long ethernet cable resolved that for me. Double check with a laptop for example you get full speeds through the router when connected via ethernet.

How are you measuring that ping? On speedtest.net? On a game? On the Geo-Filter? Is anything using the internet when you're testing? Are you testing via ethernet or wifi?
Message 2 of 9
Noahh
Guide

The only thing is that I have my pc downstairs in another room and my router is on the main floor and I can’t run an Ethernet cord anywhere and I measure my ping in game for example on fortnite I usually average around 30 to. 25 ping and yes my house is not a new house and the withering might be old.
Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Probably not much you can do about that speed in that case unfortunately unless you use some WiFi extenders, that may help. The ping increase could be to do with the powerline adapters, what is the ping shown on the Geo-Filter?
Message 4 of 9
Noahh
Guide

I’ve seen videos of what it’s supposed to look like but when I go on geo filter it doesn’t show the servers or for anti buffer bloat it doesn’t help that and for traffic prioritization it doesn’t show my pc
Message 5 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Remember that in order for Geo-Filter to work, you have to add your device to it.

If you can't see the device in the list, go to Device Manager, switch to Table mode, and search for the current IP address that you've got on your gaming device. You can then rename the device to something more easily recognisable, and add that to the Geo-Filter.

Also remember that WiFi and Ethernet connections from the same device will appear as two different devices on Device Manager.

Message 6 of 9
Noahh
Guide

I do have my pc added to geo filter for unreal engine which is fortnite pubg etc.
Message 7 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you go to Device Manager, could you change your device's type from Computer to Xbox or PlayStation.

Now delete the device from Geo-Filter and add it again. Now it should work with Fortnite.

Message 8 of 9
Noahh
Guide

Ok I will try this and reply back what happens
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7