× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow internet speeds on XR300

Divan
Aspirant

Slow internet speeds on XR300

I recently got a nighthawk xr300 router. I have a line that runs 200mbps up and down and when doing speedtests on the nighthawk app it shows that I have 200+ mbps up and down, but for some reason I cannot get my PS4 to run on speeds higher than 20mbps and I keep getting lag spikes while playing games. Can anyone assist me on how to fix this? 

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Slow internet speeds on XR300

Console speed tests can be quite inaccurate. What are your QoS and Geo-Filter settings?
Message 2 of 6
Divan
Aspirant

I know that console speed tests are not the most reliable, but when I connected my old router again I had speed tests showing between 150-200+ mbps.

I have geo filtering disabled. QoS settings is setup at 200mbps with the anti-bufferbloat settings on 70% and 'when high priority traffic detected'.

So to me it seems that the router is restricting the internet speed and bandwidth to my console because with the normal router everything seems fine.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should use the Geo-Filter to help lower your ping by forcing the closest servers. It is most likely Traffic Prioritization that is impacting the speeds as it's prioritizing the game packets over the speed test. You do have plenty for gaming.
Message 4 of 6
Divan
Aspirant

I am from South Africa so I don't need Geo filter as we only have either 1 or 2 servers for the entire country, so that cannot be the issue. My ping seems fine, but I will constantly get packet loss causing my ping to spike up and down. What is the best traffic prioritization settings if I want the router to give almost everything to my console, as that is the main device that I use.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can try advanced port rule:
Source: 1 -65535
Destination: 1 - 65535
TCP/UDP
However, this will supersede QoS and therefore potentially cause lag for any other devices if you decide to do a download on the console with this rule active.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7