× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow local traffic with XR500

WindfallNL
Aspirant

Slow local traffic with XR500

Setup : internet modem -> router (XR500) -> computer 'M' -> VM on 'M'. VM runs web server. Web server has a 5 MB gzipped page for index.html. A domain name 'D' is mapped to the WAN address of the modem.

Now If I browse to 'D's index.html locally, it takes a pathetic 50 seconds (100 KB/sec according to a separate wget). If I browse from a remote location, it's in in 5 seconds !

What up ? This started when I changed my old Netgear router (JNR3000) to the new one (XR500). QOS switched OFF.

This is a mystery. How can local traffic (which never even gets on Internet in this case) be slower than remote ?

Any clues ?

Thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How are you accessing the local site specifically? Are you using HTTPS? If so is it faster using HTTP?
Message 3 of 8
WindfallNL
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Firmware V2.3.2.40

The modem is a Ziggo 'Connect box', no doubt it is rebadged but I can't find relevant info. They used to be Zyxel brand modems.

Message 4 of 8
WindfallNL
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
How are you accessing the local site specifically? Are you using HTTPS? If so is it faster using HTTP?

I simply browse the domain name with Firefox. It's all HTTPS. If HTTP is used, it is automatically redirected to HTTPS.

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That could be why, is there a way you could disable HTTPS briefly for the server and check with HTTP to see if its faster?
Message 6 of 8
WindfallNL
Aspirant

I removed the 301 response for HTTP requests (I actually wrote this server myself), restarted the server and explicitly browsed HTTP. No difference.

I'm not surprised, because, as I reported in my original message, browsing from somewhere offsite is fast, whereas browsing onsite to the same thing is not.

This cannot be anything but a routing issue (or something along the route doing deep packet inspection really inefficiently), and the XR500 remains my main suspect.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for trying, with QoS completely disabled it won't be interacting with any packets. This might be one to contact Netgear directly about as they may have seen this on their non DumaOS routers http://support.netgear.com/
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7