× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow speeds on XR300

gamer_316
Aspirant

Slow speeds on XR300

Been looking across the internet to try & find solutions to my speeds being slowed down to half or less from what I was getting before. I moved into this apartment where the equipment wasn’t mine & I was getting 130mbps down on my PS4 & skip ahead to now I’ve replaced the equipment with a CM1200 modem & XR300 router & at this moment I’m getting speeds around 70 on my iPad & around 40 (Wired) on my PS4Pro. I was messing with the settings the other day & it seems like a glitch happened where the R-Apps weren’t working but doing speed tests I was getting 130 on all my devices. One of my roommates restarted the router this morning not knowing there was an internet outage & now I’m back down to my speeds being cut. I’m pretty sure it’s something in the settings but I can’t figure out what exactly. Please help. I prioritize my PS4 over everything else.
Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 29
plemans
Guru

If you connect a pc/laptop directly to the modem's port 1, what speeds do you get? (reboot the modem after disconnecting router, then hook up pc)

What firmware is on the xr300? 

Optimal settings guide is found here

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 2 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would suggest using the guide above. How exactly have you given priority to the PS4?
Message 3 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

After doing speed tests on my PS4 via being connected to the modem I ran 5 tests and I got 119.7Mbps, 348.8Mbps, 353 Mbps, 151.4Mbps, and 357.5Mbps. I had my PS4 prioritized from the QoS giving my game consoles the most bandwidth usage. I haven't changed anything yet for the optimal settings yet to allow the speeds come through properly and the firmware is on whatever the newest firmware to date, I don't have a PC or laptop so I don't think I'd be able to install an older firmware if all else fails.

Message 4 of 29
plemans
Guru

And what speeds do you pay for? 

Message 5 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Honestly I'm not sure, my landlord pays for the internet but seeing as how I can get around 350 I'd like to aim for that but I'm generally happy if I can maintain speeds 100-150

im messing with the settings to get high speeds and I'm not seeing a "disable IPv6" option. I went to settings then advanced settings then IPv6 but I don't see any option to disable it.

Also does the CM1200 have a bridge mode? I did a quick Google search & saw someone say that a modem that isn't a modem+router combo doesn't have that, it's always in modem mode, is that correct?

Message 6 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's a pure modem so nothing to do in that regard. It seems like from the tests you did that the speed fluctuates heavily which isn't ideal from a diagnosis perspective. Follow the guide and make the changes to try to get max speeds and see what the PS4 gets.

Message 7 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

I am but I'm at the part where it says to disable IPv6 and I don't see that option

Message 8 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you haven't enabled IPv6 on the XR then it will already be disabled but you can find it in Settings > Advanced Settings.
Message 9 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Ok so it's automatically disabled? Because I didn't see any option that strictly says "disable"

Message 10 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you go on the IPv6 page the drop down box will say disabled if it is disabled.
Message 11 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Ok I found it, it was on DHCP & going through the options & choosing auto config it says router's IPv6 address on WAN & LAN is not available so I don't think I have IPv6 as an option? But after disabling it entirely speeds stayed the same, I went through the guide for optimal speeds and pretty much nothing, disabling the QoS bumped me from 20Mbps to 40Mbps but that's about it.

Would the cable between the modem & router have anything to do with it? It's a Cat5e & when I did the speed test from the modem directly to my PS4 I was using a Cat7

Message 12 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that could do it, replace the cable connecting the router to the modem with the Cat7 and do a speed test from WiFi on the XR? Use a PC to test the speed.
Message 13 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Alright I'm back & I got a Cat8 Ethernet cable connected between my modem & router & that didn't improve anything

Message 14 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line option menu in the top left of the panel. What speeds do you get then from a wired PC?
Message 15 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

The QoS has been disabled & that only helped a little bit because the most I'm getting is 60-70

Message 16 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's the speed from a PC? Go to the Device Manager table view, then provide a screenshot of that page please.
Message 17 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

No it's from my PS4, I don't have a PC to connect to it

Message 18 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will be quite hard to know then what the speeds you're actually getting are then as the console speed tests aren't very accurate. It sounds like you are getting full speeds as shown by your previous tests but that it's not very accurate as it fluctuates.
Message 19 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Well when I connected my PS4 to the modem directly to the modem I was getting 300+. Are you saying a router can't push those speeds through?

Message 20 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No I'm just saying the speed tests on consoles are inaccurate, as you are able to get the speeds to it, although it is not always shown it is likely it is actually receiving full speeds.
Message 21 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

Here's another question, at best I can hard wire my to an iPad Pro, I just did a few speed tests and it seems my WiFi is faster than my ethernet? Over WiFi I'm getting 80-85Mbps but once I wire my iPad I get around 60Mbps, is there a way to make my Ethernet faster? (I used 2 different ports & 2 different Ethernet cables for this test)

Message 22 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're using adapters and things like that then it can be hard to ensure whether it is an adapter or not and something like an iPad isn't used to an ethernet connection. You can try getting a replacement if you feel you are being limited as I can't think of any other reason why your speeds differ.
Message 23 of 29
gamer_316
Aspirant

My PS4 tells me the same thing that the WiFi is faster than the Ethernet connection. Same thing for my Xbox

Message 24 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router doesn't have any specific settings that would affect just the ethernet ports so I don't think it is the router specifically. Do you actually notice a difference in download speed if you download a game for example?
Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7