× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow upload speeds with xr500

Alex0244
Tutor

Slow upload speeds with xr500

I ussed to get 32-35mbps upload with my previous Linksys router. Since buying my XR500, I have been getting 2-3mbps upload. This is occurring both wired and wireless. And I’ve noticed it more on the Xbox, any suggestions???
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you input your expected speeds into Anti-Bufferbloat options? What are your QoS settings set to? What do you get through a wired PC?
Message 2 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

It is set to default settings for that, I haven’t touched it. Wired and wireless is same upload speed (at least on Xbox)
Message 3 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set the MAC address of the XR500 to the MAC address of your previous router.

What speeds do you get on a wired speed test though as console speed tests can be inaccurate.
Message 4 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Will do, I’ll keep you posted
Message 5 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Still having issues even after switching MAC addresses to old router
Message 6 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

I’m also aware of speed test inaccuracy with consoles, however; my old router was supplying at least 30 mbps upload and that’s what I’m getting on all my devices except the Xbox
Message 7 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

I have imputed expected speeds have it set to always and set each to 70% still hasn’t fixed issue.
Message 8 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you speeds with a wired PC connected to the router and using a browser like FF or Opera? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Is the Xbox wired or wireless connected to the router?

Turn OFF QoS and set sliders to 99%

What does the speed report on the router? Tyr manually inputting your spec UP and Down speed on the router.

@Alex0244 wrote:
I’m also aware of speed test inaccuracy with consoles, however; my old router was supplying at least 30 mbps upload and that’s what I’m getting on all my devices except the Xbox

Message 9 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Wired test 31.5 mbps upload
Message 10 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

It’s connected to cox internet and I bought a surfboard sb6190 which supports the upload speeds. I’m just not sure why the only device it has issues with is the Xbox
Message 11 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

This with a PC? If so, then the speed reported on the console maybe inaccurate. I usually do not use game consoles to check speeds. Just NAT status. I always check speeds with a wired PC. 

Message 12 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem is apart of a issue thats been going on for a while now:

http://www.badmodems.com

Just FYI.

Message 13 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

The only reason why I think it is slower is because when I use twitch or mixer to broadcast, the stream automatically uses the lowest quality (which it didn’t before) I also have a hell of a time uploading clips and screenshots. Again, with the old router it would display a higher upload speed, I don’t understand why it wouldn’t show at least a little higher than 2mbps. I do believe there is something that is restricting the upload speed to the Xbox
Message 14 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you done a hard power OFF of the xbox? Hold the power button until it shuts off. Then turn it back on?

What are speeds if you wirelessly connect the xbox to the router? 

Only thing I would try is a factory reset. Set up from scratch and this time, skip any QoS features. Just do a quick test with the xbox and see if the speed changes any. 

Message 15 of 75
Impulse
Aspirant

I have the exact issue on my PS4, have u found a solution ?
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 16 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll continue to help you on the Netduma forum Impulse
Message 17 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Alex0244 wrote:
The only reason why I think it is slower is because when I use twitch or mixer to broadcast, the stream automatically uses the lowest quality (which it didn’t before) I also have a hell of a time uploading clips and screenshots. Again, with the old router it would display a higher upload speed, I don’t understand why it wouldn’t show at least a little higher than 2mbps. I do believe there is something that is restricting the upload speed to the Xbox

Message 18 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

No I haven’t. Still an ongoing issue
Message 19 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

No still having issues 😤😤😤
Message 20 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Do you have a link???
Message 21 of 75
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Alex - what link are you after?

Message 22 of 75
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you done a hard power OFF of the xbox? Hold the power button until it shuts off. Then turn it back on?

What are speeds if you wirelessly connect the xbox to the router? 

Only thing I would try is a factory reset. Set up from scratch and this time, skip any QoS features. Just do a quick test with the xbox and see if the speed changes any. 

@Alex0244 wrote:
I ussed to get 32-35mbps upload with my previous Linksys router. Since buying my XR500, I have been getting 2-3mbps upload. This is occurring both wired and wireless. And I’ve noticed it more on the Xbox, any suggestions???

Message 23 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I'm having the same issue with my PS4 where when I see my game lagging (FIFA) I'll disconnect and do a connection test and sure enough the upload speed will be at 2-3 mbps. Not sure why it's doing this which it occurs frequently but not constants. I am using ethernet with my Net Gear Gigabit cable modem (32x8) DOCSIS 3.1 which is then connected to my XR500 and then to my PS4 pro. I have changed the QoS settings to 70%, done port forwarding, Opened DMZ, changed the Geofiltering and I am still getting inconsistent upload speeds. Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 24 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

2-3mbps is absolutely plenty for gaming so I don't think thats what your issue is. Whats the ping you're getting to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 25 of 75
Discussion stats
  • 74 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7