× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow upload speeds with xr500

chiromike
Guide

The ping says that it's 43 ms. I have it set to 40 on the geo filter but i get around 60-63 here and there. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 75
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

They can give different readings sometimes (http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26793-black-ops-4-in-game-ping-vs-duma-ping/).

I recommend you reduce Ping Assist lower, perhaps to about 30ms. See if that then gets you lobbies more in range of the level you desire. Make sure Fast Search is disabled too.

Message 27 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I have it set at 40 now and it still gets me pings at the 60-65 mark when I check it during the game.

I ran a ping test on my mac and this is what it show for the results. It's weird because I can play a game and in the first half of the game the gameplay is perfect and then when it goes to half time or maybe if the other player pauses the game, when the game resumes it starts with the lag. I've played game where several games in a row it is perfect and then after a random game it just lags. When I did my connection test on the PS4 when i first used teh XR500 my upload speeds were 20-22 mbps. After a week those speeds dropped to around 8-10 mbps and when i see the lag in the game I do the test and it's almost always 2-3 mbps. I know you say it's the ping although there is always a direct relationship of the lag and the low upload speeds.  

On a side note, I changed from Optic Fiber internet 1 Giga service to 250 mbps comcast bc the same thing was occuring with the Fiber internet. I didn't have the XR500 at the time and was using my belkin routher that was bridged to the BGW210 and also tried bridging it with the Arris 5268AC, they both did the similar issue where the speeds would drop to 2-3 mbps upload speeds while on Fiber! The usual speeds that I would get on my PS4 were 350-500 DL speeds and 150-250 UL speeds, and when i saw the lag while playing my game I would check the speeds and sure enough it would show 2-6 mbps upload speeds. 

I figured after reading the reviews and specs on the XR500 that I would be able to control my speeds as well as location of opponenets that I would not have the same issues but it is still giving me issues. I just want to resolved the issue since I know that normal game play is possible since I have played it when it was normal. It is just not consistent at all.

Another side note, I have multiple devices connected to the router such as 2 FireTvs, 2 laptops, Alexa, Ipad, Applewatch, and 2 iphones. Of course they are not all being used at the same time although 1 firetv when watchign netflix (my wife) and she may check her phone while Im playing on the PS4. I'm not sure if that plays a major role and if so what can I do to make sure it does not affect my gameplay. 

I apprecaite your help on this topis and as you can see I am determined to fix my problem. I have been dealing with this issue for the past 3 months and am still trying to find a solution. Thanks again

The ping test attached was to Easo.ea.com and had 0 packet loss. 

Message 28 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If Ping Assist detects a game under its limit for even a second then it will allow it, even if it then goes higher.

That speed is still plenty for gaming but theres nothing on the router that would lead to degredation of the connection halfway through a game or when the opponent pauses.

I'd suggest making sure you're using Anti-Bufferbloat on for 'When High Priority Traffic Detected'. Ensure Traffic Prioritization has DumaOS Classified Games enabled. For Bandwidth Allocation make sure the console has a significant portion of just the upload, then disable share excess for JUST upload. See how you get on then.
Message 29 of 75
chiromike
Guide

First off I want to say thank you for trying to help resovle the issue.

So after trying those settings I'm still getting a ping around 65-67 along with lag on a consistent basis even with the geofilter ping setting limited to 30-40 range. It's weird bc I've played normal games with that range and it's been fine. It just seems like luck of the draw on whether I get good game play or not. 

I also set Anti-Bufferbloat on for 'When High Priority Traffic Detected" and I made sure that Traffic Prioritization has DumaOS Classified Games enabled. I also disabled share excess for just the upload.portion. 

I have a couple questions regarding the traffic prioritization section of the QoS. Should I try adding a device to this section? I notice that it asks for port to be placed here although I already did port forwarding with several ports on the port forwarding section of the dashboard. Although when I check to see if the ports are open using yougetsignal.com it show that all the ports are closed? I'm not sure if this is normal since i'm forwarding through a console instead of a PC. 

Also should I have UPnP off when I have ports forwarded? I have it diabled as of now since I have heard that you should use one or the other but not both at the same time, not sure if this is true.  Thanks again for any suggestions. 

Message 30 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Instead of using Ping Assist try just using the radius to get you a game closest to your location. Port forwarding (PF) and Traffic Prioritization (TP) are different. PF opens specific ports you set for a specific device. TP prioritizes traffic to specific ports. If you've port forward to a console a PC port check you likely wouldn't see them open. Its recommended to use one or the other but most people have both enabled without issue for the most part.
Message 31 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Please let me know if you find something that works because I’m continuously trying things to make it better 🙁🙁🙁
Message 32 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you saying the suggestion I've just given has not helped? What is your base ping on speedtest.net when there are no devices on your network using the internet?
Message 33 of 75
chiromike
Guide

That was actually someone else with the same issue I guess. 

Although I set the router back to factory settings to see if that would help to maybe not have so many devices connected which didn't really work. I did the port forwarding again and put all the changes back that you mentioned. Although when i reset it the ping was under 40 for a few games and then it suddenly started getting games at the 60-65 range only. 

My base ping with speedtest.net is 11-12. 

Message 34 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you located in the world and what is the game you're playing? Where is the server you're playing on?
Message 35 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I'm locatin in Miami, FL and am playing FIFA 19. The closest server that appears to show up on the geofilter is either in Mexico or in Califironia. I know FIFA has been known for it's horrible servers as well as lack of servers but there are people that experience normal game play so I know it's possible.  

Message 36 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that makes more sense. The 40ms games, where were they? Can you try to force them every time using the radius?
Message 37 of 75
chiromike
Guide

The majority of the games seem to be coming from Mexico and occasionally California. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game that wasn’t in one of those 2 locations. The radius of the circumstance that I have set from Florida cuts right through Mexico in half from east to west which is where the closes server to me seems to be. If I make the radius any smaller I don’t seem to get connected to any games. It seems like I’m losing out going packets from the PS4 to the server. Just not sure how to fix that.
Message 38 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's more likely the distance, if your packets weren't getting there you'd have packet loss. If you set the Geo-Filter to spectating mode, what server do you get put on and whats the ping?
Message 39 of 75
chiromike
Guide

When I set it to spectating mode I was getting the ping at 66 even still with the geofiltering set to 40 ping. The players I was going against were in Mexico/Peru area and the gameplay was horrible. It didnt show which server I was being connected too. Sometimes it'll show a triangle Icon. 

it's not looking good with this router for me, I thought it was going to help but still seem to be having the same problem I had before I purchased the routher 😕

Message 40 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Spectating mode doesn't filter so the 40ms is irrelevant in that scenario, I was seeing where the game would put you.

Which game mode in FIFA are you playing? FUTChampions uses servers but others are P2P.
Message 41 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I play a few modes like Fut Champions, Division rivals, single online matches, even squad battles that is against the computer (which uses the internet) has unbearable lag. The opponents I play against have perfect game play and can run circles around me. My fasted player is slower than their slowest player, it's ridiculous. If I didn't enjoy the game so much I would have given up on it by now.

I've been trying to figure out what mode is playable and I can't even get to one. If I don't have the ports forwarded I can't even connect to an online match against someone. Not sure why this is happening now? I tried a few other things like enabling IPV6, adding both (UDP and TCP to all ports required instead of one or the other), Just trying different combinations of settings to see if I can get it to work right and nothing. 

Message 42 of 75
chiromike
Guide

To add to my previoius post, here is a screen shot of what I believe is where the servers are located. Although Im not sure. 

Message 43 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That looks about right for the server locations so the one in Mexico is the closest server to you but it's in another country and a bit further away than a normal local server would be so that would account for the ping. That ping is more than playable as well so there must be something else going on.

I'd take a look at this site: https://fifaaddiction.com/fifa-issues/lag-fix/ it has a few suggestions of what you can do. One of them is ports so there maybe ports listed which you don't have forwarded that could help.
Message 44 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Well after following the guide that you sent me thru the link I got to the port forwarding section in which all of the PS4 ports that were listed I already had done. Although the ports that I think fix the issue were the Origin ports which I also added since they said that it couldn't hurt to have those additional ports. I also DISABLED UPnP since they said with FIFA that the game acts weird when this is enabled unless you have 2 consoles (which I don't). I noticed even when I played with it enabled it was as smooth with the game play. I did QoS antibuffer bloat at 70% which is was I always have had but for anyone reading this that may need help. 

I played 3 games and they were all perfect regardless if the ping was 40-43 range or 60-68 range. Has been some of the best games that I have played on FIFA. I'm hoping that this is the fix. I'm guessing that the game play was inconsistent bc if you played against an oppenent using the ports that were forwarded that game play was good and if you did not have the port that was being used then the game would lag. 

Just want to say thank you again for your help on this and will let you know if anything changes, but as for now I am one happy camper that I got FIFA working good finally 🙂 

Message 45 of 75
chiromike
Guide

And for anyone wanting to know which ports I forwarded here they are. The game play has improved so much but make sure you disable UPnP if it is for FIFA only.

• PS4
    UDP: 3074, 3478-3479, 3659, 6000
    TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480, 3659, 10000-10099, 42127
  • EA Origin
    UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900
    TCP: 80, 443, 1024-1124, 9960-9969, 18000, 18120, 18060, 27900, 28910, 29900

Message 46 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic to hear that Mike, really happy it worked for you, thanks for your patience and posting an update!
Message 47 of 75
chiromike
Guide

So after having a solid day of no lag I am sad to say that the lag has returned. Although the speeds of the players are much better there seems to be less control of the players when it comes to passing and shooting. When shooting the ball the ball tend to fly high above the net or hit the cross bar constatnly. Also the passing is always going into a different direction of where I'm aiming at. Not sure how to fix what's going on but that is the issue. THe game speeds seem to be much better so I guess that is a start. I'm beginning to think this game is just broken. 

Message 48 of 75
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - did you ever try testing the quality of your Internet line? Worth trying this using PingPlotter just to make sure there's not a problem with it. Guide here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Message 49 of 75
chiromike
Guide

So I did the ping plotter and these were the results. I have also done traceroute tests and they have come back with low ping times. I did notice that there was a ping spike on the test that I ran on Ping plotter and am not sure if that would be the cause of the lag. What are your thoughts?

Message 50 of 75
Discussion stats
  • 74 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7