× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow upload speeds with xr500

Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's a very good line result (barring that one random spike). Might be worth repeating the test over a long period to see if you get those spikes again.

Otherwise, it sounds like your connection is pretty rock solid, so it may be the lag comp in the game that is affecting you e.g. other laggy players

Message 51 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I didn't think it was my internet connection since I was having the same issues with the fiber internet that I had before this service. But isn't the geofiltering supposed to filter out bad pings from other players? I just don't understand why the game play cn be so inconsistent. The majority of my games have a lag and the shooting is off in the majority of the game. But then any given game the gameplay can be perfect. I tried opening DMZ and it work for a lot of games abut then the lag came back again. I just don't know what else to do to fix this. How is it that so many people do not have this issue but with all the things that I have dont to fix this issue I am still having trouble getting consistent play? 

Is there any other trouble shooting that I can do to narrow down the problem? 

I have ruled out the following things that is not causing the issue:

-My internet connection (did trace router and ping tests that show good connectivity, and connected with ethernet to my console)

-My PS4 pro console (just bought it 1 month ago) and my old PS4 did the same thing.

-The wiring (Brand new Cat 6 wires)

-The modem (XR500 - brand new)

-The router (CM-1000 - brand new - unless it is a faulty modem?)

-TV - Sony Bravia (have settings on game mode and shut off anything that would create lag)

-PS4 controllers (have gone through 5 controllers the past year from raging - using a new one that is wired to the console)

The only other things that I can narrow it down to is:

-Other players which they all can't have bad connections.

-The port forwarding settings which I know is set up correctly but maybe there are other ports that need to be open. 

-The router settings are not set up properly although I have tried many combination of things from Open DMZ, Enabled/Disabled UPnP, Port forwarded, Enabled/disabled IVP6, messed around with buffer bloat setting which it is at 70% now, messed around with geofilering settings which I have to a 1800 mile radius and Ping set to 40ms.

-I have not tried using a VPN since I heard that it can make things slower since you are going through another server.

I'm just all out of ideas here.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 52 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you were having the same issues on your previous connection then it sounds like a game issue. Yes it does get you the closest players but their ping may not always be low, ping assist will get you players with pings under the limit but it may not be the ping. What kind of pings/stability are you seeing as shown by the Geo-Filter? If you are encountering laggy players are you denying them?
Message 53 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I was thinking the possiblity that it could be the game itself being that I bought a digital version of the game which was the first time I did that. I had the issue on my old PS4 with the same game and when I reinstalled it onto the new PS4 pro it continued with the inconsistent gameplay. I would just hate to go out an buy the hard copy of the game only to get the same gameplay. 

When I start a match and look at the stats on Geofilter I either get the ping in the range of 38-42 or 65-70. There is never anything other ranges. Nothing ever under 37ish, nothing ever in the 50's range, although there has been some ranges in the hundreds but that was bc I moved my location needle on the location of one of their server to see if that would help and it gave me a ping of 130-140 range. 

I attached a file of a game that I played that had absolute gameplay which was in the 39 range for the ping. But I have also had games played in the 65-70 range that were perfect as well and vice versa where the games were horrible for both the 38-42 and 65-70 ms range. There is just no consistencty.

On my old PS4 when i tried everything it was recommeneded that I initalize my PS4 to see if that was the issue. When I reinstalled FIFA 19, the very first game that I played on the console was actually too fast of gameplay. It was sooooooo responsive to the point that I couldn't keep up with how fast the ball was zooming around the field. But then after a few games it gave me the inconsistent gameplay and never played a game again that matched that first game back. But then that was when I had fiber connection and an entirely different router and modem. Alhtough still had the same issues. Not sure if that information helps but am tying to paint a picture here to help diagnose the issue. 

Message 54 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Just to add on to my recent long post prior to this I did get an error message on Sunday 4x with this code (error ce-34878-0) that caused the game to crash everytime on the PS4> When i looked it up someone said that it is a network issue. Although they gave 4 recommendations to fix it in which all of them did nothing or were not related to my issue such as putting back the old hard drive in the PS4 which I never replaced. The other things were to reboot the system and unplug the PS4 for 30 seconds. Another was to initialized the PS4, which it is a brand new unit so I didn't do it. I actually had gotten that error code on my other PS4 as well so I don't think it's related to the console. I have gotten this code on the new PS4 but once I restarted the console it was fine, I just thought it was really weird that I got it 4 times in one day.

Message 55 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Here is the screen shot of the auto ping stats in the geofilter section of the router that I forgot to add to my prior 2 posts. WIth these stats I had absolutely perfect gameplay on FIFA 19. 

Message 56 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Not sure why the attachment didn't show, here it is again

Message 57 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd add that server to your allow list then for sure. Looks like you're playing on servers rather than peers even though it says so. I don't know what to suggest, the pings are okay so shouldn't have too bad a time with that. There have been lots of people complaining about FIFA and still yet to find a cause despite the router showing everything to be fine. Try playing direct to the modem, do you have the same experience?
Message 58 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I'm not sure if you got to read all 4 of my consecutive posts. I had trouble attaching the screen shot in the first 3 posts since it was not in the correct format. There was some other information in those posts that may be important for the diagnoses.

I actually tried hooking up the PS4 directy to the modem to play a few games but it just would not connect to it for some reason. Is there somthing I need to do to get it working correctly when connected directly to the CM-1000 modem? 

Message 59 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah I did see thank you. It should just be plug and play unless you've made any adjustments on the interface specifically for the XR500
Message 60 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I'll give that a try again later with the PS4 connected to the router to see if that works. 

Now I saw that you mentioned to add that server to the list. How do I do that exactly? I see that there is an allow button on the auto ping box that says allow/deny although I thought those buttons were for that particular player and not the server. I'm gussing if there is a connection that is bad then I should block that server to narrow me down to the best couple servers? What is your recommendation for this? Thanks again for your patience and help. 

Message 61 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's it just click allow. It won't guarantee you get that game but ensures despite your settings that you could always connect to it if it crops up. It works for servers/players. Yes exactly you can deny any you feel don't play well and then that should narrow it down further so your games in theory should get better.
Message 62 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Good morning Fraser, so I went ahead and connected the PS4 directly to the modem (MC-1000) and it had a really good connection the 3 games that I played online.  Although after the first game that I played I ended up getting an error message on the PS4 again where the game crashed. But still was able to play 3 games total while connected to the modem.

I ended up connecting the PS4 back to the router since it wasn't possible for me to always play like that, but had a couple good games when I did connect it. This morning was a different story when I played 2 games, they were back to their laggy ways.

On a side note I contacted EA sports again and gave them the run through of all the things that I had done. The person I spoke with basically said that I've done every troubleshooting possible on their side although he did request I send them a trace route report and a Ping test. And apparently the report that I sent them for the traceroute showed that there was a 75% packet loss on one of the hop. He recommended that I speak to my ISP to try and resolve that since they cannot do anything about it obviously. 

So after contacting comcast afterwards about the packet loss and speaking to the rep for about 20 minutes she finally scheduled an appointment for this Sunday for a tech to come out and see what't causing the packet loss and check the connections. We'll see if that is the cause of the inconsistent lag. It's weird bc when I did a traceroute when I had my  ATT fiber internet it showed timeouts on the 7 and 8 hops as well with 3 *** astericks but they stated it was fine to have that.

What is your opinion on the timeouts on the traceroute reports? Do you think this could be causing the issue?  

I only cropped part of the traceroute to show the timeout, did't want to show my IP address

Message 63 of 75
chiromike
Guide

And here is the traceroute report 

Message 64 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so could potentially indicate issues on the ISP side then. Surprised they asked for a traceroute/took it as an issue indicator as they can be inaccurate. The timeout could just indicate that a hop couldn't be found and so it would just skip that out, it happens all the time and generally isn't something I would necessarily focus on. Though obviously don't mention that to ATT. When they do send the tech around make sure that you have unplugged the router previously. If they see that you are using something other than their own equipment they will blame it immediately and they won't pay attention to what you're saying so just avoid mentioning the router at all.
Message 65 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Do you mean I should remove the XR500 router from the connection to the CM-1000 Modem? ATT was actually who I used for fiber, I have comcast Xfinity Extreme 250 mbps service that is coming out to check the connection. I'm using all of my own equipment so I'm not sure if they are going to immediately say that they cannot help me because of that. They are goign to charge me $75 for the visit unless they can find somehting that is causign the issue. We'll see how it goes. 

Message 66 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes remove the XR500 router from your network. They might do that so be prepared, I would double check connected to the modem that you still see those issues just so you're not caught out on the day if it all seems fine.
Message 67 of 75
chiromike
Guide

Just wanted to give an update after my visit from a comcast tech. He performed a couple diagnostic tests in which he then when to the main internet room in my apartment complex and added new connectors ot the wiring to start off things. He spent over an hour helping me and answering questions for me which was nice of him. After he changed the wiring he then checked out the coaxial inputs where my router was going too and show me what could be causing the issue with so many splitters connected. He rewired a few things there as well and added a noise filter to the cable going through the coaxial wire. He then showed me through his tests that everythign was clear and no bad signal was showing up or packet loss. 

Unforturnaly even after all that he did I still was experiecing some lag in about 50 % of my games that I was playing on FIFA. I tried changing some of the XR500 settings and still nothing. I'm kinda giving up at this point since I can't find a solution after months of trying to figure it out. I don't usually give up on things but this one I just can't find a solution for 😕 

Message 68 of 75
Alex0244
Tutor

Let me ask you this? When you do a wireless speed test from your phone, do you still get slow upload speeds or is it just on the console?
Message 69 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you done any more Ping Plots after the changes he made? I just had a quick look back and you did have a big spike at one point.

Also your base ping is 40ms going off that which is pretty high. So it means even if you lived really close to a server 40ms is the absolute minimum you could get but would generally expect you to get roughly 10-25ms higher than base ping. What sort of pings are you seeing for the game?
Message 70 of 75
chiromike
Guide

I'll have to get back to you on the checking of the upload speed through speedtest.net on my phone as apose ot my console.

I also have not checked the pingplotter to see if there are any spike issues, I'll do that when i get home later as well.

With the geofilter set to 40 ms I am only getting the 37-40 ms range. I have never seen a speed quicker than that range with the exception of when I had Fiber internet where the ping was 8-12 ms. WIth comcast the pest that I have seen on my console has been the 37-40 range that I mentioned. Although even with those ranges I have played games that the speeds have bee perfect, but then the very next game the lag would be noticeable. I'll run a few tests later with the new wiring that was performed to see what I get and will get back to you. 

Message 71 of 75
chiromike
Guide

So after doing the speedtest and ping plotter these were the results. The first picture is from my cellphone, 2nd picture from the laptop (thru ethernet), and the ping plotter results thru my laptop. The connection seems to have no ping spikes on pingplotter after doing it and the upload speeds all around seem to be great on the cellphone at 21.8 mbps (12 ms ping) and laptop at 23.79 mbps (11ms ping). 

Message 72 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the picture but that's really great news, glad to hear it seems to be working better!
Message 73 of 75
Ijustwantmysped
Aspirant

SO when isn’t it ok to lose your upload speed by more than 90 percent and consider it ok? Lol you guys are horrible just like the isp (internet providers) who are messing everything up and expect us to always pay I’m selling this crappy router and will never purchase thrash zzz netgear product in my life what a waste of my time and money really what a joke 

Message 74 of 75
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi there, this is the first post you've made as far as I can see. If you make a topic I'm sure we'll be able to resolve the issue that you're having. Firstly take a look at this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-m... if you're still having an issue make a new topic and give us some more information regarding the issue.
Message 75 of 75
Discussion stats
  • 74 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7