× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smart Home devices need to communicate with each other on the Guest Network

JodaSharp
Initiate

Smart Home devices need to communicate with each other on the Guest Network

I use the Guest network to connect my various Smart Home and IoT devices.  I do not want those devices to have access to my "local" network and/or devices, so I leave "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" unchecked for the Guest Network.  However, doing so does not allow my Amazon Echo's to play multi-room music.  Is it possible to separate "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" into two separate features?  One for "Allow access to my local network" and one for "Allow guests to see each other"?  Allowing guests to see each other would allow multi-room music to function.
It is highly recommended to separate Smart Home devices from ones Local network, thus this request feature addition would be very usefull for many people.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm sure that is possible, I will pass that on to Netgear!
Message 2 of 4
JodaSharp
Initiate

Thanks, 

I opened a "Case" with Netgear support, but of course, they told me to connect my Echo's to my Local Network and see if that fixes the issue.  Yes it does, but I don't want any of my Smart Home devices to have access to my Local network.  Smart Home devices should have their own path to the internet "outside" my Local network (that's what a Guest Network is for).  Unfortunately, as Smart Home devices get smarter, they need to be able to communicate with each other.  That's where Netgear is falling short by not allowing Guest Network devices to be able to communicate with each other.  

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for this idea. Device Isolation is an option we'd like to add to DumaOS, especially for IoT devices and voice assistants.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7