× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Still lagging while gaming with ethernet connection

DirtySZN
Aspirant

Still lagging while gaming with ethernet connection

So I currently am having severe lag issues while gaming. I am hardwired meaning this -

There is a main xfinity gateway(modem/router combo) in one room in my house. That gateway is the main one and I have nothing to do with it. It is my mother's for her workstation and I do not bother with it.

In my bedroom I am hardwired - meaning I have a coaxial cable outlet in my room that I connect via coaxial cable to my Netgear CM1000 modem. From the modem, I am connected via ethernet cable to my Netgear nighthawk XR500 gaming router. And then there is one more ethernet cable from the XR500 to my gaming PC.

I have tried: connecting my PC only to my modem; that has failed as I still lag. I also have tried connecting as stated above, via modem & router to my PC; I lag. I have tried to connect WiFi to the Xfinity gateway across the house; I still lag... And when I mean lag, I am getting severe packet loss, my game freezes to the point I can't even play for over 5 seconds at a time, etc..

My equipment is all in perfect condition as far as the modem, router, and cables(brand new CAT-5E cable & CAT 6 cable; and it's a newer coaxial cable as well)

Me and my mother pay for Xfinity - speeds up to 600mbps download/15mbps upload. And we are getting just that. Even more; up to 700mbps download/20mbps upload.
And ping is great as well at 10-25 ping in game. The numbers are great, but I can't even play anymore due to all of this.

-Side note- I already contacted Xfinity about this in the past - they can't come out due to COVID currently, so I need an alternative for the time being if possible...

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Do you pay for 2 different setups? Since you have a xfinity modem and a cm1000 listed? 

I'm curious how its actually setup. 

Message 2 of 15
DirtySZN
Aspirant

Well that is the thing. I don't pay for 2 different setups. Everyone is wondering how the one in my bedroom is even running. We don't pay extra at all. There is just the second coaxial cable port in my wall in my bedroom; so I plugged it up and it just runs connects.

Message 3 of 15
DirtySZN
Aspirant

My CM1000 is also listed as the second modem on the xfinity account because I called them once asking is it okay to have 2 different "setups" ran in the same household. The guy said that generally it us unusual, and sometimes it works, but in my situation it will not work. 

I then got off the phone with him; set it up myself, and it just connected to the internet somehow. 

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

2 modems actively running on 1 account could be your issue. Are they both showing as active on your account?

If you speedtest try hardwiring into them both and testing speeds on each individually and then test them both at the same time. 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into both? seperate? 

do you get the lag if you're directly connected to the modem? 

Message 5 of 15
DirtySZN
Aspirant

So both modems do show on the xfinity account.

As far as the speeds I get; with my modem and router in my bedroom, I get 700mbps download and 20mbps upload. I pay for that. Well, I actually pay for only up to 600mbps download and up to 15mbps upload so I get that's good.

And when I plug into only my modem, the CM1000 directly, I still do lag as I've tested that.

Now update however: This part makes no sense to me... There are days that I lag severely, and there are days where I barely lag at all... I played last night and today, and I am not lagging much at all. But for the 5 days prior, I was lagging so bad to the point that I didn't play. 

And I am the only one connected to my XR500/CM1000. Only my gaming PC and my cell phone are connected to it.. so I truly don't understand.

Also, I can try to see what speeds I get via the Xfinity gateway in the other room if you wanted.

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

Does it lag if you're directly connected to the modem? 

Message 7 of 15
DirtySZN
Aspirant

I have tested that a few days ago when I was lagging all day long. And yes, I would lag the same amount. When connected to the modem and router, and then with the CM1000 as well.

So what could be going on here do you think?

Could it be my ISP, having 2 "setups" on one account, etc.? I am unsure to be honest, that's why I am posting here; thanks for the support so far.

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

@DirtySZN wrote:

I have tested that a few days ago when I was lagging all day long. And yes, I would lag the same amount. When connected to the modem and router, and then with the CM1000 as well.

So what could be going on here do you think?

Could it be my ISP, having 2 "setups" on one account, etc.? I am unsure to be honest, that's why I am posting here; thanks for the support so far.

If you're lagging without the router in the mix its either:

1. The game. you're connecting to servers that aren't optimal

2. The isp. 

3. the modem. It could be having 2 on the account is causing issues. Or it could be a hardware issue. I'm doubting that if you get the issue on either modem. 

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very weird setup, you mentioned sometimes it's good and sometimes it isn't - does that correspond to when your mother is using the other gateway by chance? E.g. if she isn't on the internet that day or is out does it play without lag?
Message 10 of 15
SeannnyG
Aspirant

Still lagging while gaming with ethernet connection

My ISP is Cox internet. They always say everything is good on their end but yet I lag almost daily playing video games. If i connect only to the modem I get no internet. Why does this happen all the time? I just bought both Modem and Router.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your average ping as shown by the Geo-Filter and what is the ping shown by the game? Are you using QoS?
Message 12 of 15
SeannnyG
Aspirant

I don't know how to find the ping on the geo-filter. A speedtest says I have 7ms ping, in game I usually have 17-25ms ping until i start lagging then it never lowers under 50ms but most times is 150+. I have tried with QoS on and off and get the same results.

Message 13 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you added your device to the Geo-Filter? If not you will need to do that so you can force the closest/lowest ping servers. Then Auto Ping will be enabled so that when you're in a game it will appear in the bottom right corner of the page. What does that show and does that spike? Also there isn't really an on/off state for QoS, what settings did you use specifically?

Message 14 of 15
JustCheckingIn
Initiate

I would download "pingplotter". You are indicating that no matter what your setup you have low "ping" to something (maybe the game server is telling you that?). But Ping is a small piece of a connection. I mention that because you also say you have a lot of packet loss, to the point you cant play at all sometimes. 

1. Disconnect YOUR modem. Just because it kind of works doesnt mean it works. 

2. Reset your whole system; Unplug your moms gateway and let it sit for a minute or so, and plug it back in, WITHOUT your modem connected or on.

3. Connect to your moms gateway with wifi or wired if possible (it doesnt really matter) and use ping plotter (free version is fine) to see where you are losing packets on your path to the game server (or any server - 8.8.8.8 is google, and easy to remember). You MIGHT see packet loss at one node and none at the next; that is a frequency cap issue (some nodes will only resond to requests X times a second before they stop to ward off attacks, and then just pass on the packet). What you are looking for is a packet loss that gets all the way to the end. If its beyond the first two jumps, it is the ISP dropping packets. Note where it starts and contact the ISP with that address. They might have broken hardware. If thats the case you can ack for a rerout and they might know what you are talking about. 

If it shows packet loss between your modem and ISP (first jump or so), it could be the ISP OR modem. Check your modem settings at 192.168.100.1 in your browser (your browser might warn its not a secure connection, it doesnt matter). You should be able to look up the default password online: log in and check "connection". "Downstream" connection dBmV should be between 10 and -10 (0 is ideal, but if its all 0, its an error). This indicates how much "noise" is comin to you, and the power level is requested by the ISP. If its betyond those values, contact your ISP. If there is a lot of "uncorrected" it indicates a problem with how you are getting packets, and that is also an ISP problem. 

Upstream should be between 35 (iirc) and 50 dBmV, where 50 (and 50+, some modems max out at 50) would indicate a problem with the noise upstream. What is happening is that your modem will try and use as little power as possible to talk to the ISP, and when it cant, it raises the power, like shouting into your phone when its windy. At some point it will run out of power. Anything above 45 on the ISP's end will usually make them curious and trigger some steps to check it. BUT the ISP usually wont care or notice if you dont bring it up to them. 

In that case, before you go wait on hold to talk to your ISP, first check all your connections. If you are able replace any crimp or screw coaxial connectors with compression fitting (I bought a kit and it was worth it just to have proper length cables) and replace any splitters between your "drop (where the line comes in)" and your modem with high quality splitters. Finally, you can run a new cable to your modem through a doorway adhoc, and test if it is a degraded cable. All-in that check cost me like $50: Its NOT your job to check, so if you dont have the desire to buy and deal with it, make the ISP do it. 

If that fails to resolve your problem, contact your ISP and explain the trouble shooting steps you have taken, and the data you have. 

It is not unlikely that having two modems is the problem; they are both trying to talk at teh same time as the same account. There is a reason they said it wasnt approved. So, that is why I say remove the "unknown" device and make sure its not your ISP.  

If it all looks good, typically you can change out your modem online by selecting a new modem. Ask you mom when you can test YOUR setup (maybe a weekend) and disconnect her gateway, and connect your modem and router. Go through the same steps. If there is no issue then, its probably the two modems. If thats the case ask the ISP how you can resolve it. Keep escalating to a supervisor until they resolve it or are clear why they cannot.  

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7