× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tethered connection to the LAN ports

thevenin57
Follower

Tethered connection to the LAN ports

I recently upgraded my Xfinity bandwidth to 600Mbps and so I purchased the following:

o Netgear CM700 cable modem

o Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 router (R7000P)

If I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem, I get close to 600Mbps download, but if I connect my router to the cable modem and then connect my laptop to one of the router's LAN ports, I get around 300Mbps.  What is odd is if I perform a speedtest from the same laptop using the 5Ghz wifi, I get around 500Mbps.

Has anyone experienced this situation?  The laptop's tethered connection to the router should outperform the wifi connection.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Tethered connection to the LAN ports

What firmware are you running on the R7000P?

also, did you enable access control, traffic monitoring, or qos? These aren't recommended at speeds >250 as they disable mechanisms that allow those speeds. 

if you'd enabled them, I'd recommend factory resetting the router and re-installing it manually. Making sure not to enable those.

Also check to make sure ipv6 has been enabled. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Tethered connection to the LAN ports

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck.

@thevenin57 wrote:

I recently upgraded my Xfinity bandwidth to 600Mbps and so I purchased the following:

o Netgear CM700 cable modem

o Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 router (R7000P)

If I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem, I get close to 600Mbps download, but if I connect my router to the cable modem and then connect my laptop to one of the router's LAN ports, I get around 300Mbps.  What is odd is if I perform a speedtest from the same laptop using the 5Ghz wifi, I get around 500Mbps.

Has anyone experienced this situation?  The laptop's tethered connection to the router should outperform the wifi connection.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series