× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thinking of returning XR500

Kierok3
Guide

Thinking of returning XR500

I have two ps4s wired connection to my new XR 500 router. I'm trying to match the two systems into the same crucible game in destiny 2 but the geo filter doesn't seem to have any effect on this. I'm looking for some guidance for the two hosts to find each other in matchmaking.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hello, I'll answer in this topic as your other one is about the same thing, no need to make multiple topics.

If I'm correct you want to just find each other in the same game instead of going in as a team from the lobby? If so then I don't think this would be possible or it would be very hard to do so. To team up both devices should be added to the Geo-Filter just in case and then use the Destiny profile to set up this filter.
Message 2 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

Hi there!

Thanks for the response. It is possible, I have been in lobbies with other people doing it. I think it has something to do with white listing everyone from both fireteams but I'm not sure what I need to choose for my geo filtering home location. I was hoping to find someone that knew this on the forums.
Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only way that I could possibly think would be to place your location in the ocean at the same point with strict mode enabled and ping assist at 0. If you're only doing it with two people then I doubt that this would work.
Message 4 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

What do you mean at the same point? 2 consoles are on one router, I only get to select one point. I added both consoles to the geo filter option on my computer and selected one spot in the ocean. What does strict mode do? I heard it was not supposed to be used for destiny but what if everyone was white listed?
Message 5 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you were to try and get into games with specific other people then the only way I could think of would be to have everyone have their Geo-Filter in the same place. Strict Mode keeps anything from outside your radius being allowed. No we recommend it being off for Destiny but thats the only thing I can think of. Potentially, are you trying to get in a game with the person in your house or other people also?
Message 6 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

Hi again,

Just two people are in the same house, the other 6 are spread out across America. The example I saw of this being done, it was the same situation with the two hosts, in the same house, connecting with each other and the remaining 6 players spread across the world. Only the 2 hosts had geo filter. I'm looking for what settings to choose to have the hosts, that are in the same house, connect with each other
Message 7 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

As Fraser said, I'm not sure how you would do this from the same house. If you were in a different location, with two DumaOS powered routers, it would be quite easy to do. But because you're going through the same router, it might be hard to do.

A question - if you try inviting the other PS4 into your lobby in the game, do they appear as an icon on your Geo-Filter? If so, it may then be possible to Allow this connection (which is your own!), and then search with a very strict Geo-Filter rule set so that you can only connect to each other.

One other thing you could try is setting Ping Assist to a really low number, like 3ms, and putting your Geo-Filter in the ocean with the distance at a minimum. Then try searching at the same time. If you connect to each other, quickly increase Ping Assist to a higher number e.g. 40ms, to allow other players to connect to you.

But I'm not sure if this is even possible - as I say you're on the same connection so it's hard.

A far simpler option would be to set a strictish Geo-Filter settings e.g. 500-1000km, and then both search at the same time. Chances are you'll match up with each other 80% of the time.

Message 8 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

Hi Jack,

I appreciate the "far simpler option" and seem to have had some success by selecting the geofilter on my area (smallest radius possible, 111km) and allowing the other users that I wanted to play with - I was able to select them on the map when they joined my lobby, I would then "allow" each person one by one, then they would move to the other lobby. I set it to strict and ping assist to 0. One ps4 is wired directly into the modem and the other is wired into the XR500 nighthawk router. Would it make more sense to have them both wired to the XR500? Would any ping assist help more?  

Thanks

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well in terms of QoS all devices should be connected to the router in order for you to receive the benefit. It terms of being easier to match up if you had them both on the router you could add both devices to be filtered and then should make it simpler for them to join together. If you're trying to force then ping assist might get you people that aren't who you want.
Message 10 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

Thanks Fraser, that is good to know. I will let you know how it goes when I try it next. I appreciate all the help!

Message 11 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

It may also be worth noting that the reason that I had only one PS4 (my alternate)directly into the XR500 router is because I was want a type 1 NAT on my main PS4 - I am doing this by directly wiring into the modem, Arris XB6, which is in bridge mode. Bridge mode shuts off the wifi though so thats why I needed a router plugged into the modem too. The reason I went through all the effort to get my NAT to type 1 was because I had an extremely long wait finding games in COD WWII, and the games that would connect would always be the same people. I would also have party chat issues. But all that has not been an issue since I bridged the modem to my main PS4. I know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but if there was an option to have BOTH PS4s on Type 1 NAT, that would be sublime. Should I adjust my setup? I have not had any success plugging both PS4s into the XR500.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

NAT type 1 would be seen if a PS is directly connected to the ISP modem if no NAT is there. A modem with NAT or stand alone modem with a router (XR) connected to the modem will always have NAT type 2 which is expected for this kind of configuration.

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, those issues you faced were likely due to the Geo-Filter being misconfigured - too strict a radius, not adding friends to the allow list etc.
Message 14 of 17
DMC51450
Star

So your main ps4 is set in ppoe ??? Anyways that's a really bad way of setting your setup !!!
First thing you have to understand... on consoles Nat 1 is exactly performing the same as Nat 2 since both are Fully Open... nat 1 just says the console is direct in a modem while nat 2 says console is behind a router...but both still are fully open !!!

Second thing... setted like you are your main ps4 takes all your line since it pass first so it will get all the bandwith it need and the rest will then split to the router and other devices...making a lot of bad things on your setup quality !!!

You should do this :
Hook both ps4 to router and only router hook to aio (you have an aio since you said you bridged it) then go on duma os panel and go on tab Setup- Internet setup- Connection mode and set that to Always On !!! Then go on Wan setup- set Nat Filtering to OPEN and tick the box Disable SIP ALG !!! Restart your router !!! Go in geo panel to confirm both ps4 are set in Devices...as Consoles and Filtering mode !!!
Now go to Qos- Anti bufferbloat burger and set your line speed. Set bufferbloat to When high priority trafic detected. Set slidders to 70/70 !!! Bandwith allocation press reset on both upload and download so the line is equally shared between all devices hooked to router. If you want the exact same connection for both consoles...each time before playing you should untick both share excess so they will get the same bandwith at all times while playin !!! Just tick them again when needed after playin !!!
Trafic Prioritization- untick classified games... add your main ps4 then add your second ps4...!!! Advanced settings-Upnp On !!!
Aright now all the proper settings are applied so do this in that order... restart router... unplug your aio(modem and router combo unit) power cord and battery if it have one !!! While you shutted off the aio the router had enough time to reboot like you asked..right 😝...so now unplug the router's power cord and press 4-5 times on the power button behind the xr500 just like if you put it On Off On Off On Offf...so it will make the residual energy goin away !!! Now both aio and router are off... replug aio power and wait 2-3 mins so all the lights are on and steady !!! Once it's done you can plug Xr500 power back on !!! Congrats everything is working as expected !!! Now start your main Ps4 only... do a speedtest and if there is a nat error just re do internet setup on ps4 and it will fix it...once done and all good.... if you do parties i suggest to start one without inviting friends now... then start your game and check if game is open (on COD we can via settings) if yes then start the other ps4...do speedtest on it and like your main if nat error just re do setup internet on it...then start the game and go see if open like the main one... should both be open so now can invite the second ps4 and other friends in the party...and join the same lobby if you want or directly invite them in your lobby and enjoy !!! Best game to confirm setup is good... is Call Of Duty cause in settings we can see our connection state !!! At least if in the games you play there is no connection state then start a COD first to confirm both consoles are fully open...then once both are in and open just close it and go play games you guys want !!! I play mostly COD's so i don't know more for your game sadly...but like i said it always work and you can trustly test with cod so after its confirmed both consoles will be good on all other games !!!
If (yes that happen sometimes) the second console is moderate (means a bug happen like you started both consoles simultaneously) so you have to close both conosles then just restart Xr500 then again start main ps4 and go in the game to then confirm it's open...once done stay there and start second console and enter the game...confirm it's open then you can play and or party !!!
As last info... always use UPNP and no port forwards !!! Also note that on your router you should Always assign an ip(reserve an ip) to each and every devices hooking to that router...Always !!! It prevent stupid problems !!! Also on my consoles i do manual setup and i always set Mtu manual instead off auto !!!

Take care... enjoy your gaming sessions... Peeeaace !!! DMC51450 !!! 👽🍻🎧🎮🔫
Message 15 of 17
Kierok3
Guide

Okay a LOT of energy in that post there!

First and foremost, what worked best for what I was trying to achieve was... both PS4s wired to the router with both devices added to the geofilter. Strict mode was OFF, auto ping was OFF, ping assist was 0, and I set the area of the filter to the smallest possible and put it directly over the person icon where I live. I allowed all my party members's(including myself) connections by clicking their person icon on the world map as they showed up when they joined my party. I was able to connect, in-game, almost instantly with the other team. It worked very well!

1. What is PPOE?

2. What is aio?

...actually, I will run through your steps tomorrow and see how everything goes. Quite a bit of unfamiliar acronyms and I don't know what you mean but I'll see if I can follow along... I would like someone else to confirm if his instructions make sense. I don't want to make the situation worse just because one guy on the internet that used a lot of hyperbole told me to.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will update you with a post tomorrow. I would like confirmation from the others that his suggestions have some merit.
Message 16 of 17
DMC51450
Star

I try to be as clear as possible so that's why i add more infos !!! English is not my first language !!! Those are abreviations like when you see 3 times Geo Filter you can conclude that GF will mean Geo Filter !!! 😉

AIO = All In One = a combo unit having both a modem and a router in the same lil box !!! Since you said you put it in bridge that mean that it have both modem and router so it's an AIO !!! 😉

Pppoe = the credentials to log your internet account !!! Normaly for dsl...vdsl2... Optical fiber...!!!
If your on a cable line then you surely won't need credentials !!!

For your settings : Strict mode need to be enabled if you want to restrict to your radius... meaning no ones outside your radius will be able to enter your lobby or party except thoses you Allow but since they will be blocked because they outside your radius they will only appear a second or two on your map so you need to allow them fastly !!! The fact that they where able to enter your party means you where already unrestricted...so no point in using geo filter then !!! But by unticking strict mode you can invite people outside your radius to enter easily in your party so you have time to write their name and allowing them... when all friends are added in your Allow you then should tick strict mode again and restart console...then do a new party and invite your friends then start your game !!!
For the lobbies or dedicated servers if there are... it's the same thing... you have to look at your geo filter map while your game start and then click on the dedis you want and allow them if they are outside your radius !!! No need to allow them if they are inside your radius !!! So you should set your radius accordingly with the game you play... if the dedis are far from you then you can restrict your radius and just allowing the dedis you want like the friends you want !!!
Radius = the distance you set aka 111km
Dedis = Dedicated Servers
For ping assist i also let it disabled aka at 0
Like i said strict is supposed to be Enable
Both consoles in device prioritization
Both consoles in Geo Filter set as Filtering

It's been over 3 years that i run some netduma !!! I have more than 20 years of experience in tech and much more things !!! No need to trust me... i gain absolutely nothin for helping others except a good feeling... and for you just like for others and also like for me... it will help you understand things properly by learning the right way !!! Test and error is the way of learning for humanoids 👽 !!!
Duma Os needs regular tweaking !!!

🍻
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7