× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Optimization Tips and Tricks for Fortnite with your XR500!

bacevedo
Community Manager

Best Optimization Tips and Tricks for Fortnite with your XR500!

XR500 Fortnite TipsXR500 Fortnite Tips

Hey Nighthawks,

ZarduBen here with a few simple tips and tricks to help you optimize your XR500 for Fortnite. Take a look, let us know what other tips we may have missed and how you set up your XR500 to get that Victory Royale!!

Best,

Ben

Fortnite

Chasing that Victory Royale in Fortnite? Then here's some quick tips to get the best Fortnite connection possible:

1. Minimize server lag

The further a server is from your home, the slower the game will play. It’s just like real life; the further you must travel, the longer it takes to make that trip. Same for your game traffic.

In your game settings: make sure you have selected your region in Fortnite. Here’s how:

1. From the main menu of the game, select the gear icon to open settings and then again click the gear icon at the top to open game settings.
  2. Under Region, change your Matchmaking Region to the one with the lowest pingRegion Selection.png

Using your Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 Router:

1. Add your console or PC to the Geo-Filter
  2. Set your Geo-Filter to 'Spectating Mode'
  3. Make sure Auto-Ping Host is enabled in the Geo-Filter Map OptionGeo-Filter.png
  4. Set the Geo-Filter distance to the closest server near you. For reference, see the image below of Fortnite Servers.

Fortnite_Regions.png

Clean up your console

Making sure your hardware is capable of running Fortnite is crucial to a smooth gaming experience. When possible, have your console or PC wired up to the XR500’s ethernet ports.

Console gamers: delete unneeded games/applications from your hard drive to free up space. On Xbox One if you’re experiencing occasional stuttering then clearing your local saved games can  also help.

1. Check your PC’s specs

PC gamers: Keep your FPS high by ensuring your hardware meets these minimum requirements:

Processor

Core i5 2.8Ghz

Memory

8GB

Graphics

Nvidia GTX 970 / AMD R9 390 or above

Storage

20GB

OS

Windows 10 64-bit

1. Prioritize your console or PC

The last thing you want when chasing that Victory Royale is someone in your home hogging all the bandwidth with videos or other traffic and causing your game to lag.

The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 has the world’s best QoS to completely solve this problem. Here’s how:

1. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% for both Download and Upload and set the mode to High Priority Traffic Detected
  2. In Bandwidth Allocation give extra bandwidth to your gaming device
  3. Make sure ‘DumaOS Classified Games’ is checked in Traffic Prioritization
  4. Make sure ‘Unreal Engine’ is prioritized in Traffic Priorization

Now everyone in your home can download and upload whatever they want without affecting your gaming because the XR500 is prioritizing Fortnite.

1. Wired Controller beats a Wireless Controllers

Whenever possible, try to play wired. Wireless controllers and mice and keyboards can be affected by other wireless devices around them which is why most eSports pros play wired.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
DRU732
Tutor

Re: Tips and Tricks for Fortnite with your XR500!

The only part I am missing for my wired gaming PC is #4 in the Traffic Prioritization.

I have DumaOS Classified Games' checked, but I do not have Unreal Engine listed in that section, and I am unclear how to add it.

Message 2 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Dru - click 'Add Device' then select your PC or console you want to prioritize. Then click 'Next'. Unreal Engine should be listed there. Click on it once and then click 'Done'

For what it's worth though, Fortnite is already in DumaOS classified games so it is automatically prioritized for you Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
bacevedo
Community Manager

Thanks Jack!

Message 4 of 5

Re: Best Optimization Tips and Tricks for Fortnite with your XR500!

Hi there bacevedo, nice guide first of all.

I have an issue with geofiltering, i have selected my region and added distance according catch France and Londo servers but can´t see anyone, just the red area like a sonar.

Also i can´t activate the autoping because DumaOs says: There is currently no host or server to ping.

How can i add fortnite servers or any other game and make DumaOs be able to detect them? Thanks a lot beforehand for your time

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7