× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: UI issue but Netgear tech support is the dumbest in the world.... CONTINUATION

bevant
Apprentice

UI issue but Netgear tech support is the dumbest in the world.... CONTINUATION

In the original post, I mentioned that in the XR500, if you plug a cable into port 4, in DumaOS, it shows up as Port 1.

Called Netgear stupid support and after THREE changes of modem, the problem was not solved, as expected. That's because the stupid Netgear support people reckon it was a manufacturing problem from long ago and that the retailers still have old stock, after 2 years. But it's been proven since that it's NOT the same problem and Netgear support is just too lazy and too stupid to verify the problem!

However, thanks to a a very deligent @Netduma-Fraser, he was able to verify that the problem is a UI issue and will be fixed in the next release of firmware update.

I upgraded to firmware 2.3.2.66 (from 2.3.2.55) yesterday and the problem is still there.

Fraser, can you advise which version of firmware should I expect the fix? (Maybe 2.3.2.66 was already in testing when the bug was reported by Fraser)

Thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: UI issue but Netgear tech support is the dumbest in the world.... CONTINUATION

.66 is just security updates from NG so no changes on our side. It's not fixed in the current build but the fastest way to get the fixes would be to upgrade to the 3.0 beta.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 33

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

.66 is just security updates from NG so no changes on our side. It's not fixed in the current build but the fastest way to get the fixes would be to upgrade to the 3.0 beta.
Message 2 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

It's ok. As long as I know when it's going to be fixed...I don't want to go to Beta...Netgear's wasted enough of my time, not about to do more of their work for them for more angst. 

Thanks Fraser.

Message 3 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Is this a second hand XR500 or one of the first batches. 

There was an issue with the ports being opposite to what the software showed and there is no software fix if this is the issue. 

NG did exchange units but if this was purchased from a third party and used I don't think you will have much luck.

Message 4 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

None of them are "second-hand". I bought them brand new from the store.

Then because they said I had to send it back before they'll send me a new one (otherwise pay $40 to get them ship first), I took it to another branch of the store to exchange for a  new one. 

Same problem.

Then they said because of the hassles, they'll waive the $40 and send me a new one from their warehouse because they have the "latest" stock. 

Same problem. 

As I understand it, this product has been around for about 2 years. I find it hard to believe 2 stores would have the very first batch of the product on their shopfloor for 2 years and not have sold it. Regardless, the replacement is from Netgear's warehouse where they claim to have the latest stock and it didn't fix it either.

It really is an UI problem. On the hardware, the ports at the back match the LEDs at the front. What doesn't match is the UI showing port 1 to 4. UI is programmable. Just switch the order!

My guess is the UI issue came from the original error (because of the ports on the hardware) and so they would have been correct on the first batches of the XR500 but since that was fixed, it puts the UI out of whack.

Regardless, it's poor quality (and destroys reputation) if a user unplugs a cable from port 4 and the UI says port 1 is unplugged. 

But no, the dumbos at Netgear didn't even take the time to verify that....especially when I listed the steps to reproduce the problem AND also included screenshots! 

Message 5 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's not a problem that pop ups that often now, I can't say I've seen this issue for a while.

Did you check the serial number that netgear sent back was different from the one you sent?

if this was a common issue it would be popping up all over the place and I've seen some terrible stock control from shops, can't comment on NG but you would think it's a current version.

You could install the beta firmware, reading the warranty info first though and revert back, I'm sure Fraser will confirm that's possible. If it remains its hardware side.

I know one user here that had this issue, I'll message him to have a peep and to see if it's the issue he had.

Message 6 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

How would Netgear send me back something with a previous serial number? You think the stock is going to go straight from the store to their warehouse in the Phillippines in a day? 

But no, they are 3 separate serial numbers. They ALL have the then current version of firmware (2.3.2.55). 

The problem won't be immediately visible because:

1) Most people don't pay attention to detail, especially when it's just a label. Netgear peope don't even look at the screenshots, let alone read the steps to reproduce the problem.

2) Most would plug into gigabit connections so how do you tell when all four ports are occupied? I only noticed because one port was showing 1Gbps and another showing 100Mbps and I used ports 1 and 4. I probably would have missed it if I'd used ports 1 and 2 or worse, 2 and 3.

3) Most people probably use wifi nowadays and not ethernet.

Netgear told me their warehouse has the latest stock with the problem solved. 

Anyway, I'm not going to waste time any further.

Like I said to Netgear support: Find a XR500, plug a cable into Port 1. If the UI in the Devices tab says Port 4, you've just reproduced the problem, fix it. If it says Port 1, then obviously the problem is with my router. But it's just a UI labelling problem, doesn't affect the operation of the router, it has so far cost me more time re-configuring the routers (every time I get a new one) so it's not worth trying to spend any more time on it.

I'm not spending any more time replying to people who don't have a current XR500 to verify the problem. I've spent enough time repeating this to too many stupid Netgear support people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about because none of them have a XR500 in front of them to replicate the problem!  

These are basic user testing that you should do, not relying on your users to do the testing for you.

Replicate the problem, then fix it.

Considering all 3 routers had the ports at the back correspond to the LEDs at the front, I'd say the manufacturing got it right. 

The UI is showing port 4 when it should be port 1 etc...that's a software issue. I don't know what you do for a living but as a computer programmer, give me the code I'll do it myself. It's not that hard. 

@Netduma-Fraser saw the screenshots and recognised it as a UI problem - straight forward and with common sense.  

Message 7 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Mistakes happen which is why I asked you so there's little need to be sarcastic with your reply.

I do have a XR500, I've also had a replacement from NG due to faulty hardware.

My XR500 shows all the correct ports are connected by the way as I've several router on the go.

A little pointer but if people try to help you try not to aggravate them as help soon disappears and Fraser has kindly asked you to try the beta to test if it's a software issue which should be nice and easy. You don't have to beta test, it's install, reset, setup and test, revert firmware, reset and back you go to the up to date official firmware. Should be done and dusted in 30 mins and you can then let Fraser know the results.

Message 8 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

It's NOT as simple. I have also taken the time to label all the unknown devices in the devices table and that's something not backed up in the configuration file so when I restore, I'll have to go re-label all the unknown devices again.

If you have a XR500, then instead of writing all this about you are not sure etc, why not just do try like I said: login to UI, plug (or unplug) a cable in / from port 1. What does the UI say? Does it say Port 1 or Port 4 is plugged in / unplugged?

It's what I would have done if someone commented on a product I have. I would have tested it and then I can say "yep, have the same problem" or "Nope, I can't replicate the problem?".

Again, NOTE that I'm not talking about the ports on the physical router, I'm talking about the UI page, under "Device Manager" and specifically, under the "Ports Table" view. 

I meant no disrespect to Fraser. He was just saying that the quickest way to get the fix is use the beta, which I don't really want to spend time doing. What's wrong with that? It's only a UI labelling issue, not a showstopper. He's saying that I could, I'm saying I'm happy to wait till it's officially available. What's the problem?

I don't want to be scarcastic but you're asking if Netgear had sent me old stock (or the router I'd returned), saying it's not a UI issue ut a manufacturing issue etc when the obvious thing to do is to actually try it out - it doesn't even take 1 minute to try.

You're exhibiting the same problem I have with all these stupid Netgear support people - it takes one minute to replicate the issue but yet they ponder and wants me to downgrade the firmware, reset to factory default, upgrade the firmware....everything BUT find an XR500 and replicate the problem. 

All they have to do is prove that they can replicate the problem and report to engineering. Engineering can say "yes, we know it, it's fixed and will be available soon" or "that's a new one, it'll be fixed". 

That's all I needed to know. I've already spent days to Netgear on this including holding on the phone for 2 hours. Not going to spend more on it. 

Message 9 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

By the way, this is not faulty hardware.

Also, after spending hours and hours with Netgear not getting through, @Netduma-Fraser was able to see the problem I've described  (in the original post) in 5 minutes just by looking at the screenshots. 

Yes, I have a lot of respect for Fraser. 

Message 10 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

That's great, if you could do the test that would help Fraser.

Message 11 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

So without me testing it, nobody will know if the bugs are fixed? 

Message 12 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I have double checked, mine is fine, I don't just game, I do the odd Beta testing and have worked with NG and Netduma and always been treated with respect. 
NG support has always been good, they have to run through stuff as they don't know if you know what you are doing as many end users are not clued up.

Message 13 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

As I don't have your issue, I can't replicate it, you need to test your side. 

Message 14 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

Oh well, if your UI is fine, then obviously my hardware (all 3 of them) are faulty.

It's only the UI, I can live with it.

But I'm not going to go and re-label all my unknown devices.

I'll wait for the official release. 

Message 15 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

You are sure you checked the Ports Table screen, right?

If so, then thank you for at least trying to replicate the problem. 

Message 16 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

And you would be the only person who'd tried to replicate the problem. You're one step ahead of Netgear, who didn't even bother. 

Message 17 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Mines fine, that's why when I saw the thread I thought of the old issue. 

Let's see if I can find a post regarding the ports mismatch to see if it's the same issue as yours.

Message 18 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

Thanks. But really, don't spend too much time. It's just an UI issue and in any case, one hardly sits in front of the screen looking at the device manager screen and say "oh look, the ports are back to front". 

It's down on the bottom of my problems...I'm just annoyed I had to spend so much time previously trying to explain it to Netgear, until Fraser came along. 

Message 19 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Not a problem, it's nice to dig into issues to see what's going on as it may be helpful for Fraser.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/LAN-Port-vs-LED-Port-Light/m-p/1509562...

That's the issue I was thinking of, the port lights though don't match up with the ports used which was a hardware issue.

if yours are showing correctly then it's a bug that's shown up in the firmware. 

Message 20 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

Yes that is what I guessed when they kept telling me the problem is solved. That would constitute a manufacturing problem but what I’m reporting is just UI and I know how to fix.

But the dumb NG guys just didn’t bother to understand the problem and just said it was a known problem but now it’s fixed.

They guaranteed that I would not have the same problem once I get the latest stock from their warehouse.

They closed the ticket after 7 days without any update. When I called and complain, another support person said it’s because if they have a ticket opened for more than 7 days it doesn’t look good on the guy handling the ticket.

When I call I give the case number. They look it up and then they asked what the problem is. I asked them can’t they see the issue I’ve reported, they say they can “see everything”. But they read nothing.
The last support person I had to tell her to stop talking and listen to my instructions: open up the attachments I’ve sent and see what I was talking about.

She did and then “oh...the ports are back to front”. 🙄

Then I got her to admit that she doesn’t have a XR500 with her so she couldn’t verify anything and just sends it up to second level support.

Second level support refers to the case you are referring to and say “problem fixed long time ago. You have old stock.”

Never occur to them the symptoms could look the same but the cause may be a different one.

You’re probably dealing with the development team so they would have more intelligence than those first line non-experts who just know how to follow the scripts. Anything off script and they have no idea. They don’t even have basic network training.

I normally recommend clients to buy netgear stuff for homes and small businesses. But the way they are going, I’m looking for other brand to recommend. It’s not worth the hassle and angst.
Message 21 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I can understand your frustration, I'll post on the Beta site to see if this issue is solved with 3.0 as that's the new firmware from Netduma. 
Once I make the post I'll link it here for you and we can see if it's either showing or not.

feel free to join in if I've made a mistake on my post on the beta forum.

Message 22 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Here we go.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR500-lan-ports-do-they-match-in-th...

feel free to add any info you feel may help others and let's see if this bug shows up. If not it's good news and while it's a pain for you to have this issue it's great that you have spotted it and is worth seeing if it's fixed.

Routers are funny old things, you can have a group of 20 beta testers testing out the hardware and software and on release problems pop up that's not been seen before.

Message 23 of 33
bevant
Apprentice

Thanks. Nope the description looks appropriate. The key being the ports table view which you’ve mentioned.

See what people come back with.

Many thanks.
Message 24 of 33
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Not a problem, let's see what's posted. 

Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7