× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unknown error

Manuellll
Apprentice

so i dont need it open port on router if I put the ip wan of the router in the dmz section of the vodafone station?

Message 26 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put the XR in the DMZ then you can leave the settings alone on the Vodafone. You should be able to then get an Open NAT on the device connected to the XR using UPnP.
Message 27 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

ok, but I have to remove the reservation of my computer's ip address to activate the upnp right?

Message 28 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No you don't they're separate, UPnP is intelligent port forwarding as and when needed essentially. It will know to open ports for the device.
Message 29 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

I speak of the reservation of the ip address on the XR must be removed for upnp since usually you book an ip address if necessary to open the port

Message 30 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No you don't need to do that. Static IPs are not just done for port forwarding. They are useful to keep the router from giving it new IP addresses.
Message 31 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

ok so I remove portforwarding and put upup?

Message 32 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you have an Open NAT then leave your settings as they are, if you don't then yes try that or put the console in the XR DMZ.
Message 33 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

I do not have a console but a gaming gaming PC and it is a bit risky to put it in dmz, what I wonder if the upnp automatically manages the ports to open what is the purpose of booking an ip address?

Message 34 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

uPnP is all thats needed for gaming for a single game console or game PC online at one time. Shouldn't need any PF configurations. DMZ is not recommended for your PC.

Message 35 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

yes, but I have not yet figured out what it takes to reserve the ip address with the active update

Message 36 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure I understand, you said you have already reserved the IP correct? You don't need to do anything further.
Message 37 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

I mean that before activating upnp I had the portforward and I had booked the ip address of the pc in the lan section now that I put the upnp I have to remove the reservation of the ip address or leave it?

Message 38 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can leave the IP reservation.
Message 39 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

did I do well to put the static router ip on both the modem and the router itself?

Message 40 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes thats absolutely fine.
Message 41 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

perfect I was wondering why even in the modem where the router is connected in cascade I put the ip from the router from the modem, in the static static of the modem and I wouldn't want it then to cause problems

Message 42 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not really sure I understand the question, could you clarify?
Message 43 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

the modem where the xr500 is connected is an option, it's called static nat, where I entered the ip wan of the router, so I wouldn't want it to give problems with that option, also insert the static ip on the ipv4 section of the modem

Message 44 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have it in the DMZ as well? Usually it's better to refrain from changing too many options if you're not sure what they do.
Message 45 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

yes i have in dmz

Message 46 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

why if I put my pc as xbox it prioritizes me fortnite otherwise not? doing so does it not prioritize wrong packages being different PCs and consoles?

Message 47 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not detecting the game properly when selected as a PC but using the ports from the console service it can. It's still prioritizing correctly.
Message 48 of 52
Manuellll
Apprentice

but shouldn't the console service ports be different? can't you solve this problem by keeping my pc as pc and not console?

Message 49 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We need to update the classification and then you would be able to switch back to PC. PC uses DPI to detect gaming packets and the console service uses ports. They both work, just one is more intelligent than the other but no harm having it in this configuration.
Message 50 of 52
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7