× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade from xr500 to xr1000 issues

niewiado
Apprentice

Hello all. So I went into wan settings and set NAT to open (xr500 was secured the whole time) and I went into the lan settings and gave the ps5 a static IP address outside the DHCP range (xr500 also never had this) and this didn’t seem to help.

I also made sure to the other settings matched as much as I could tell. Then I disabled port scan and DoS protection and set my IPv6 to auto detect which is what the xr500 had and confirmed armor and Adblock were both disabled.

The only thing that helped was turning AX features off. This immediately caused the ps5 to connect.
However, upon restart or going to sleep and waking back up (didn’t matter which) the connection was lost. Then I turned AX features back on and without any ps5 restart it reconnected to the network right away but again- did not remain connected after a restart.

So I can routinely get it to connect now but unfortunately not to stay connected. When connected it benchmarks faster than the xr500 which is great and QoS seems to work well but I can’t turn the ps5 off lol. Any last ditch ideas?!

Thanks for all the help guys, I do appreciate how prompt you are to respond but I’m starting to lose faith in my upgrade here.
Message 26 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Out of interest, can you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then see if you can replicate the issue? I know it sounds unrelated, but it may be something to do with the DPI engine.

Also, do you have any rules setup in Traffic Controller? If not, can you try adding one to Allow the PS5 at all times?

Message 27 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hello all-
So the QoS disabling and the traffic rule to always allow the ps5 didn’t change anything. However, I did finally find a setting that allows me to restart while connected.
It turned out to be smart connect.
Now on the xr500 it’s enabled as I mentioned before with no issue on the ps5, so I have the ps5 set to only connect to 5ghz. And like I said before the signal strength is usually near 100% if not 100%. However being wireless it can fluctuate down to the 90’s occasionally.
When I turned smart connect off on the xr1000 and kept the 5ghz ssid the same name it was able to stay connected after a restart. Furthermore, when I set the ps5 back to “automatic” band selection and then turned smart connect back on the ps5 connected after a restart but always to 2.4ghz. So for whatever reason it forces the ps5 to reconnect to 2.4 after a restart with smart connect enabled.

I suppose if one of wifi 6’s benefits is improved 2.4 connections it’s not the end of the world, but you would think a signal strength above 90% would default to 5ghz. Interestingly, playing a bit of CoD MW2 on 2.4ghz on the PS5 after all this did seem to reduce some packet loss but I’m not sure if that was a transient thing or not.
Also I think it’s worth mentioning I have a series x as well and it connected to 5ghz just fine every time I checked, although some in game NAT types went from open to moderate.
Any thoughts on any of this?
Thanks again
Message 28 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, so it must be something to do with the PS5's WLAN adaptor and how SmartConnect recognises this. That's a tricky one for us as SmartConnect is a NETGEAR feature and we don't really have anything to do with it's development as part of the Netduma team.

It's possible that 2.4Ghz could reduce any packet loss you experience, that would also suggest that the signal strength on 5Ghz is not quite as strong as the PS5 seems to think it is though.

You could perhaps improve this further by looking at a Wi-Fi Analyser again and ensuring you're on the least congested channels, that would help with 5GHz particularly.

Message 29 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hello all-

So I left the xr1000 connected for the weekend and things worked alright for the most part, but I discovered yesterday that the Xbox no longer recognizes ipv6. A quick search showed that this is not an isolated issue and the very moderators here in this thread have even helped troubleshoot this in the past.
From what I could tell, at the time it was hoped a firmware update would fix this, but these are dictated by NG’s schedule, not Netduma. What’s funny is even though these updates do not appear to come to us very often, maybe a couple weeks before I purchased my xr1000 a new firmware update did finally come through to us if I understand that correctly.

Does this basically mean it’s still not a fixed issue? This may be the final straw to have me return the router. In the meantime I reconnected the xr500 and immediately
A) ipv6 returned to Xbox
B) ps5 left on automatic channel selection still connected to 5ghz with 100% signal strength
C) iPhones in the house always connect to 5ghz, albeit at slightly reduced speeds

I adopted the xr500 early on and was part of the beta program so I know it took a while to get all the bugs ironed out there (for the longest time I would miss calls as my cellular connection isn’t great in the house and WiFi calling wouldn’t work) but eventually the xr500 came to be the absolute best router I’ve ever owned, both for gaming and wfh through the pandemic. I hoped the xr1000 would just be that with the added throughput and congestion control of wifi 6, but maybe it too just needs more time to work through the bugs.
Message 30 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We have a big update coming for the 1000 which shouldn't be too much longer so I would recommend waiting until then and I feel a lot of your issues should be resolved.
Message 31 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I do have a return window I need to abide by. Any idea how much longer?
Message 32 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't have a timeline but you can keep up to date with the firmware progress here: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000132677-dumaos-firmware-progress
Message 33 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hi Fraser-

I looked into it and I have an extended holiday return window from Best Buy so I guess I can hang onto the 1000 for a while.

I did plug it in earlier today to check for a firmware update and left it connected to play some CodMW2 on the ps5. It connected to 5ghz initially but it crashed my game a few minutes in as it lost connection. I reconnected to 2ghz and while it stayed connected I had 3 consecutive games in different modes with very bad ping spikes that induced noticeable rubber banding. I changed the game modes and made sure to play more than one game to notice a pattern. I then switched back to the xr500 and all the lag went away.

I also used the Netduma app while gaming and while connected to the xr1000 the qos did not detect high priority packets. While connected to the xr500 it did detect them.

I really hope all these issues are addressed when this new firmware update drops because it’s quite a list at this point. I don’t think I’ll connect it back until this firmware drops so will that last link you sent me tell me that netgear has approved it and passed it on to us?
Message 34 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

There will be a DPI update coming out soon which you should receive over the air, that should improve the detection of CoD in QoS.

Do you still have QoS disabled on the XR1000 as per my last advice or have you since set it up again?

Message 35 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I’ll have to double check but yes I believe I have QoS reenabled. I also have ax features enabled, smart connect enabled, auto detect ipv6 enabled- all things I was either told to try at one point in the past or are currently giving me issues.

Only setting I think I kept was up to 2400mbps channel bonding on the 5ghz bands.
Message 36 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Did we not find that SmartConnect was causing the problem? If you disable it again do you still have the same issues.

Message 37 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

So I forced the ps5 to only connect to 5ghz before. When I set it to automatic it normally just connects to 2ghz which isn’t ideal but I want to leave smart connect on since everything else in the house is set to the same ssid but some devices only can connect to 2.4 ghz. It’s just a feature that worked on the xr500 and I’d like to keep using.
Message 38 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There will be a new update soon but in the meantime you could setup guest WiFi just for the console
Message 39 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I suppose I can try that. Will QoS apply to guest networks? Can I try making a QoS rule that just prioritizes all ps5 traffic which applies to a guest network?
Also, do you have reason to believe that the ipv6 issue with Xbox’s will be addressed with this upcoming firmware update?
Message 40 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think guest devices show up on Device Manager, either way QoS applies to the whole network. I wouldn't advise it, if there is a download that would cause a lot of lag. IPv6 is something we've been paying attention to so I'm confident it should be a lot better in that regard.
Message 41 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

What about adding the ps5 as a device to the traffic prioritization? Are you saying it’s just best to leave it on DumaOS classifies games only?
Message 42 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can use DumaOS Classified Games or the Games Console that's fine, I just wouldn't recommend making a rule to prioritize all traffic i.e. all ports
Message 43 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

Hi Fraser -

I enabled a 5ghz guest network and first tried it out on my lg oled and it worked rather well there as this too is a device that is often forced onto 2ghz even though it’s relatively close to the router. However the ps5 simply refused to connect to it. It seemed to connect to the access point but not to the internet every time. Very strange.

I did game a bit back on the xr1000 this time with the laptop logged in to qos page and I noticed that I must of added a ps5 console traffic priority rule since it was there and enabled already. I noticed DumaOS classified did not detect anything but the console traffic was detected and being prioritized. The duma app showed no prioritization as per yesterday. I did not get any lag spikes today but now I suspect qos was on yesterday as well since I did not create nor enable it today, it was already there.
Message 44 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It refused to connect to the guest network all together, or to the 5GHz network specifically? You may need to un-register the old network from the PS5 network settings so it stops connecting to the old one automatically.

Message 45 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I only enabled a 5ghz guest network and I manually disconnected from the regular network and attempted to connect to the guest network. When it failed or seemed to still be connected to the guest network but for some reason it has no internet connection because I had to disconnect from the guest and go back to the standard non-guest which it connected to in the 2ghz band.
Message 46 of 55
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Can you remove the current device listed in Device Manager for the PS5? Maybe it's having some sort of conflict there.

Message 47 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

I can try that after I get back from the office. So you just go into device manager and right click the device or something? I’ve never removed a device before.
Message 48 of 55
niewiado
Apprentice

So I turned the ps5 off as opposed to sleep mode so it would fall off the network, then clicked on it and it showed that it was offline but I wasn’t able to delete it from the device manager. I even unplugged it from power. It said it was still online and therefore couldn’t be removed. I also encountered more lag spikes on the 2.4 ghz band so I went back to the xr500 and all was well on 5 ghz.

It wasn’t just the ps5, my lg oled also didn’t like the guest 5ghz after the fact for some reason.

Another thing I noticed, when the xr1000 was left on for a couple days, ransoms devices like iPhones and laptops would momentarily lose connection. My guess is on the xr1000 smart connect switches bands way too often and as it does you lose connection for a moment. On the xr500 you’d have to go outside of the house for it to switch an iPhone to 2.4ghz.
Message 49 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep AX enabled but disable MU-MIMO and beamforming instead, do you have better luck with that setup?
Message 50 of 55
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7